General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil- why not synthetic?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@incog: thanks for that comment.

yeah, I've been riding for some time (about 15k miles) but have really little mech knowledge when it comes to bikes. i've done some work on cars but just know the basics. i'm surprised how much ppl know and curious how you guys know all those. i was assuming that some of the ppl here must be mechanics or engineers or something??

@cbrfren: i try my best not to ask stupid comments and don't know how successful i am, lol. i do search threads and google stuff before asking and have been reading up on stuff alot. but one thing i've found is that i enjoy the conversation, it's much more fun than reading a post several years old. i -could- buy a complete history of motorcycles and mechanics but that would be so boring!

so hoppefully you guys don't mind too much when us new guys ask questions that you've prob seen a million times before and maybe you guys asked when you first started. true, w/ the internet and database of threads i could find any conversation i want, but that sure does take away from interesting interactive experience and meeting people w/ the same interests.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:37 AM

so hoppefully you guys don't mind too much when us new guys ask questions that you've prob seen a million times before and maybe you guys asked when you first started. true, w/ the internet and database of threads i could find any conversation i want, but that sure does take away from interesting interactive experience and meeting people w/ the same interests.
Don't worry about it. Thats how people learn. Like you said, sure someone can search and find a post, but if we never posted about something that was already posted, it would be a pretty quiet forum. We ride motorcycles. Theres not a lot to them, so we're bound to cover similiar topics over and over again. But if you read a post that is 2 years old.. Are you sure your going to get valid information? Probably not. Just imagine if you read a post from when synthetics first came out. You'd see nothing but post about don't use it... Things change constantly, and keeping fresh new insight to topics is the best way to get a feel for peoples opinions. No matter how many times its been posted.

So keep em coming.

Last edited by justasquid; 05-29-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:53 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some truths about synthetic oil:

1 - synthetic oil IS dino oil. comes from the same wells.
2 - synthetic oil IS NOT slipperier than conventional oil.
3 - synthetic oil WILL NOT hurt your motorcycle whether it's the first or last oil change.
4 - what makes synthetic superior is that the carbon chains are modified to all be exact. for instance, if a 50W oil should have all chains with 37 carbons (just throwing out numbers .. too lazy to research ) then a synthetic contains 99%+ of 37 carbon chains. Conventional will contain mostly 37 carbon chains but will have some with fewer. These are unstable and often burn. This causes acid. To fight the acid manufacturers add detergents ... but they can only withstand so much deterioration so must be changed more frequently.
5 - synthetic won't make your bike faster. just able to withstand internal engine heat better. I've found all bikes shift better after an oil change whether with synthetic or conventional.

What will goo up your clutch disks is using "energy conserving" oil or any oil with friction modifier additives in it. Usually contain a moly- that will coat your clutch disks and cause it to slip ... but absolutely fine for the engine.

Now, who wants start an octane thread ... I'm gunning for the ones who think 105 octane makes their 11:1 NA motor run better

Old 05-30-2011, 03:04 AM

thanks squid, lemme guess, navy?

@chain- HA! i was actually going to ask about octane and fuel.... i'll start a new thread.