General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not the carbs? 2nd gear sputter.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Not the carbs? 2nd gear sputter.

I just reread your post. LISTEN TO ME!!!!!! You need to put those two hoses back the same way as they were. IN THE DIRECT AIR!!!! I will send you a pic if you don't know where they go. They need to both be in the direction of the intake. Both of them. Do NOT SCREW AROUND WITH THIS. I'm pretty certain (99%) that this will solve your problem. Check to see if the scoops that are mounted are attached. If you are missing them they can be bought but int the mean time you can zip tie them IN PLACE IN DIRECT AIR. Let me know. It's Sat soon and everyday is a good riding day but Sat is just a little bit better.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:16 PM

is this the same thing as the PAIR valve? (otherwise called the Air Injection Valve?)
thanks

Old 11-22-2007, 03:36 PM

No. Absolutely not. This is located in the front right side. What a Pair valve does is injects fresh air into the exhaust gases. It helps clean the exhaust or I should say reduces unused gases in the exhaust by introducing fresh air for what Honda describes as afterburn. The pair valve prevents the exhaust from escaping into the intake system and closes when decelerating. This is a California bike. Has to be. My suggestion is don’t mess with it.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:00 PM

thanks for your quick response Jack. I am going insane trying to fix this problem and nothing is working. do you have a pic of what air hose 'fell down' on your bike. i am having a hard time figuring out what hose you are talking about.
thanks!

you said this:
'The air vent solenoid/EvapCAV solenoid(Direct Air Intake System D.A.I.)gets supplied fresh/ram air by a tube located in the front on the front fairing. It was missing the scoops that hold it in place. They fell downand was not getting ram air. This needs explaining'

Old 11-26-2007, 12:29 PM

is this the hose your talkin about? where does the rear of it plug in? thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/12382/191C50405DC24460B8C42A5D2904499A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-26-2007, 09:48 PM

Yes it is. I sent youmy phone number in case you want me to talk you through it. But yes those are them. They have to be in the direct air. Do you know where they are mounted? I wish I knew how to attach a pic. I forgot off the top of my head where the other circled vent goes. I'll have to look it up but give me a call.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:57 PM

thanks for the fast reply. i would like to talk to you if possible can you email your phone# to: seansepulveda@hotmail.com

I know the F3 is a bit different, but the idea is the same.
on my f4, i put the hoses back in place and it helped, but did not fix the problem entirely. i think it may have to do with aftermarket fairings not having any scoops to plug the two hoses into (although i dont think there were any on the stock one either)(i may fashion some myself) ----OR---- it may be that i have the hose connected wrong. There is an in-line filter that comes first, then it plugs into the air solenoid valve, which redirects are to the air box in different spots. (on the f3, it seems as if it runs directly into the air box on the back left side...judging by the photo of the hoses only)

the strange thing is i have another F4 in the garage with the same fairings and its owner (my step dad) LEFT OUT the hoses in front and it still works. i am thinking the valve may be faulty OR there may not be any power going to the solenoid when it needs it (ie.. it is stuck open/closed or something)... i think i will try to test the wire for power with a muli-meter or something.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:26 PM

the air solenoid when faulty stays in the open position. Meaning if it is bad you're still fine. I'll email you my number.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:39 PM

This is a reply i posted in another thread titled "600 shuts down on freeway"
https://cbrforum.com/m_428658/mpage_.../tm.htm#438643

I thought i would post it here too since it is from the same problem:

Thank you so much for the help!
to answer some questions:
1. i dont really use/rely on starter fluid to start it up.. it doesnt really help anyway.
2. i have a keyless gas cap. when it starts to bog down, &i can tell it wants to shut down, it will stay alive briefly as long as its in gear. once the clutch is pulled in... it dies... 'thump'! dead. i have been coasting in nuetral at 40mph, and tried restarting while coasting (with open gas cap & closed) and it just turns and turns.
(it sputters as if too lean or too rich)
3. the fuel pump replacement was done to no avail. (i didnt think this was the problem, in my experience, pumps (at least on cars)dont slowly fail... they usually die with little to no warning.
4. I found a thread (linked on this page) that pointed me to the Air Solenoid Valve and fresh air needed to feed the Carb Barrels themselves. In short, the vacume tube that feeds this gives an equal amount of air in the barrels as the airbox so the mixture is even with the air pressure from the ram air ducts. The air that supplies this valve comes from a tube at the front of the bike near theair ducts.... mine was not installed because the aftermarket fairings didnt have the appropriate spot to mount them. (also, our other f4 left them out and his works fine... (mind you, no full exhuast or high flow air flilter on it)). i went ahead and modded my fairing and intalled the tubes with some success... it now only does this if i sustain high a speed of 60mph or more (it will hit 70 briefly but will die if i dont let off the throttle).

Update: i replaced this valve without perfroming the appropriate test so see if it was faulty (the test involves blowing in the intake hole with the ignition in off position and then in on position... air SHOULD pass through different hoses in each case. IT FAILED THE TEST WITH BOTH MY OLD & MY NEW (used)SOLENOID VALVE.... i.e. It is starved for air in the barrels.

I think this is my issue and am replacing the valve again (this time i will perform the test on the used one i have coming... and will buy new if that one fails).

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL FOR THE SUGGESTIONS! I FEEL I AM GETTING CLOSE AND WILL KEEP YOU POSTED> KEEP THE IDEAS COMING! THIS MAY STILL NOT FIX THE ISSUE! SPECIAL THANKS TO FORUM MEMBERS:

JACK RIDDLEY
BERGS
& DUFFERMAN

Old 11-29-2007, 12:53 PM

Sorry to get off track but I have a question for you.

Yes I did compression test too. 190,195,165,200.
Is that one cylinder low on compression??? Or is it still within specs?

Wouldn't a valve adjustment fix it?

Quick Reply: Not the carbs? 2nd gear sputter.