General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

non iridium spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default non iridium spark plugs

i have a 05 f4i and im not getting any spark and fuel pumps not turning on but i was worndering i just want out and got a 2 doller plug from walmart and im not geting spark does the the spark plug have to do with this i mean do they have to be the iridium ones to spark the spark plug im using is a cheaP autolite 8809

Old 04-08-2009, 11:48 AM

Take the boot off the plug, turn the light off and look driectly into the boot, from a distance. see if you get spark inside the boot. if you do then its a problem with your plug. if you dont its more of an ignition system problem.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:59 AM

If your fuel pump isnt turning on, then you have other issues that are probably related to your non existent spark.

As for the sparkplug, I dont think it has to be iridium for it to actually spark. As far as testing it, I'm not sure it will spark on its own inside the boot. It has to make a ground connection in order for that to happen,(I think, I could be wrong), What you can do is plug in the spark plug, even if the plug is bad, hold the plug body about an 1/8 inch away from a grounded surface, like a bolt head on your cylinder head cover, and you should get an arc across from the outter part of the plug to the bolt head if your ignition is working.

has the bike been in a crash?

Is the headlight wiring harness hooked up? If not, it will not run without the BAS hooked up and the fuel pump will not prime.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:35 PM

yeah its been crashed the bas is hooked up but the black wire thats going to the ignition coils it is a ground right becuse im getting voltage though it also the main frame is reading that theres about 17 volts running thought it to but my subframe does not read any voltage could a power wire be nicked or run wrong

Old 04-09-2009, 05:28 PM

BAS sensors will go bad if th crash was hard enough

I would try to bypass the BAS. take a jumper wire and connect the outside two connectors from the wireing harness. this will bypass it and you can rule that out.

Im a little confused on a few things,
When you say your getting voltage through the frame? Are you connecting the hot wire to the hot side of the battery, and then connecting the ground side to the frame? If so, this is normal as your frame is grounded.

If you are connecting the ground side of the meter to the battery ground, and then connecting the hot side to the frame and getting voltage, there is something seriously wrong.

Also, 17 volts is way too high. It should never be more than 13.5 or so volts. Could have a faulty meter.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:14 PM

i bypassed the bas sencor and still nothing and i thought about the meter bieng wrong so i borrewed one from the plant i work at its a 500 doller unit and still getting the same thing and im putting the postive on the frame and the negative on the battery im still getting 17 volts at the frame

Old 04-10-2009, 11:57 PM

Im not sure what the problem is. It sounds like you have a hot wire touching the frame somewhere, or touching a ground wire. the Frame should be grounded, not hot. Meaning you have the ground wire to the frame, and the hot wire to the positive side of the battery in order to get any voltage. If your hooking the ground wire to the ground side of the battery, and the positve side to the frame and getting 17 volts, something is very wrong.

as for the black wire, again, Im not sure, but in most cases, the ground wire is white or white with a black line.

Im still confused why you have 17 volts anywhere. Unless you have a high power ignition wire touching the frame, there shouldnt be more than 13-14 volts in the system. In fact, with the bike not running, there should only be around 12.8 or so.

the fact that the frame is hot should be blowing fuses everywhere. I think you have a hot wire touching the frame or engine.