General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Start on Recoverd Bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007 | 09:22 AM
Default No Start on Recoverd Bike

Hey guys, I have a few little problems and I hope someone can steer me in the right direction... Anyways, a little back story to better understand the situation...

Bike was stolen, cops recovered, sitting at my home. Simple enough. They bypassed the ignition by cutting the wires from the set and installing a push switch. Bike's tach lights up and all that, but no start, only a click noise from the starter break box under the seat. No turn over, no nothing. I finished last night stripping the body the thieves installed on it and turns out they cut some wiring around the headlights. Installed wiring as best I could, to no avail. No turnover of the engine.

Another problem are the forks, they're protruding way above the upper fork mount. How would I go about getting these back down? I think this happens in some tows, not sure...

So (1) starter and (2) forks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old 12-02-2007 | 09:25 AM
Default RE: No Start on Recoverd Bike

BTW, 03 CBR 600RR... duh.

Old 12-02-2007 | 11:02 AM

I'm guessing the forks could be fixed by just loosening the clamps and sliding them back down. This might require something sturdy to suspend the front end of the bike from so you can actually slide them once you loosen the clamps.
As for the wiring and whatnot, thats pretty difficult to diagnose through the internet. If if starter solenoid is just clicking then it sounds like the battery doesn't have enough charge. I'd just throw a charger on the battery whenever you try to start it just to remove that variable. Other than that, search for the manuals that people host on this forum and use the electrical diagrams. Just start narrowing which wire is the problem, test everything for continuity and/or voltage.
Hope that helps a little bit.

Old 12-02-2007 | 01:52 PM

colomiami,
you're going to need a multimeter so that you can poke and prod the circuits of the bike. You can pick them up at RadioShack for $10 to $20. I agree with elmer that you probably have a dead battery on your hands. I also recomend that you get a shop manual. They have wiring schematics which will help out repairing the chops done to the bike. Glad to hear that you got the bike back by the way.

Old 12-02-2007 | 06:05 PM

The oem ignition switch has diodes inside it that prevent the bike from being started without it. So... buy a new igntion switch or try and fix the wiring going to it. Also check the tip over sensor, it cuts power or fuel in the event the bike tips over, most theives throw the bike onto the back of a truck or van on it's side.. for obvious reasons. Also use the multimeter to check your battery, minimum you should get is 13.0 volts for a good battery, even slightly below that the battery needs charging to even do it's job.

I had my 900rr stolen by a some methed up punk *** biotch earlier this year. he's in prison now for it.. 3.5 yrs - ahahaha he got what he had coming.

Sounds like douschbag raised the fork tubes up on your bike. You need a jack, remove the lower fairings, put a piece of wood between the jack and the header, lift the bike up just a tad bit, now get a buddy to steady the bike while you fix it, loosen all the tripple clamp bolts and slide the forks back to where they should be, tighten it back up to oem torque specs.

Old 12-02-2007 | 09:43 PM

Yep fastrr hit the head on the nail. The 03/04 has a 3.9v zener diode in the ignition switch (it's a seperate pink line if I remember right)... But If you have a number of cut wires hit up E-bay or Kurt @D2 cycles for a used replacment harness(get both the main harness and the guage / headlight harness) and a new ignition switch.

Old 12-03-2007 | 12:55 AM

Thanks guys, I'm gonna fix the forks tomorrow afternoon... as for the ignition, the battery was the problem in which why the starter wasn't kicking in... now the motor cranks but won't turn over. I have a new ignition lock set coming in on Thurs, so hopefully that'll fix the problem. I see the pink cable, they just left it hanging there. I applied it to the switch there and nothing. I noticed the fuel pump didn't "whirrr" when the tacho comes about, so I'm guessing it won't turn over due to lack of fuel.

I hate f-ers who steal bikes... right in front of my house, too! They stripped the fairings and replaced them with really damaged cbr fairings covered in this blue cloth... it sucks that I work my *** off at work to pay for this bike and support my home and some punk just comes and takes it, pushing me to have to take time out of my day to repair it. If I find those bastards I'm gonna pull an Edward Norton move in American History X with the guys jaw on the sidewalk (no reference to the guys being black, I could care less if the bastards are orange, blue, green or pink). Anyways, thanks for the help. I'll post some further if I continue with problems!