F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Bike won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike won't start

I got my exhaust yesterday and was installing it when I noticed that my bike was really really low on gas. So after installing the exhaust, while I was breaking into the exhaust, my bike ran out of gas and would not start anymore. So I went out, got a gallon of gas and tried to start it up again, but no luck. The bike sounds like it is trying to start, but then is not able to start completely.

I wasn't sure if it had anything to do with the exhaust installation or if I need to add more than a gallon of gas in there or if there is something wrong with the oxygen sensor (which I had to unplug and replug to install the exhaust).

Any ideas??? I have a 06 f4i.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Default RE: Bike won't start

I would put more gas in it. Are you hearing the fuel pump prime before starting.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:58 AM

Most likely you have no gas in your lines if you ran out. Give it some gas as you start it

Old 03-12-2008, 12:48 PM

cycle the key a couple times let the fuel pump prime a couple times to get fuel into the filter and lines. You can also hold the throttle down but i wouldnt recomend it. Add more gas too a gallon is just above the reserve

Old 03-12-2008, 09:03 PM

I added another 2 gallons in the bike and it still won't start. In fact, now, after the fuel pump primes, when I press the ignition button, the bike doesn't even attempt to start. It starts making these clicking noises just like a car with a bad battery does. The electricals dim out when I press the ignition, but once I let go of it, they come back bright as ever (when the bike is running off its battery). This tells me that the battery is good but something else is messing up the ignition.

Any help would be appreciated. All this started happening after I installed the exhaust. Bike started fine with the stock exhaust. Also, another thing I forgot to mention, when I was breaking into the slip-on, there seemed to be sparks coming out of the exhaust. Is that normal with a new exhaust?

Old 03-12-2008, 10:56 PM

i would try putting the stock exhaust back on and see if youre problem goes away.

Last edited by axsys; 12-18-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:40 AM

check to make sure your wires aren't grounded somewhere. Check your spark plugs by trying to start it so many times they may have gone bad, and get a mulimeter on your battery when you try and start see what the voltage is at.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:06 AM

All I seem to hear when I press the ignition button now are those clicking noises. A friend mentioned that my engine could be flooded with gas. I know its possible on cars, but what about bikes? I am going to go back home today and clean out/check the spark plugs.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:30 AM

Its easier on bikes since the chamber is smaller. Plus might be fouled. Charge your battery up take the plugs out and crank it with a rag over the head so it blows the fuel out but take the fuel pump fuse out so u dont get anymore fuel in there. Then get new plugs and hopefully sounds like your battery is junk if it clicks

Old 03-13-2008, 10:35 AM

ORIGINAL: bluej511

Its easier on bikes since the chamber is smaller. Plus might be fouled.
Bluej511, what do you mean it might be fouled? And what will be fouled? The chamber? The engine?

Quick Reply: Bike won't start