General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy needs help or reassurance...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy needs help or reassurance...

OK, I joined to seek advise. I don't have a whole CBR. I bought a roller chassis for parts to build a custom cafe 74 CB360. I got 1989 CBR 600 forks, wheels, and brakes bolted to a 79 CB600A frame with a 69-72 CB750 swingarm. Yea...I know. I had to figure it out as I went.
I cut down the swing arm to fit in the CB360 frame. Switched over from 17mm bearings to 20mm bearings to use the CB750 axle and tensioners.
Ditched the frame, have no use for it.

My issue / problem is replacing the fork seals. I have read the posts and the manual. My problem is that I have been pulling on the tubes to seperate them forever. All that happens is that they get wedged and I have to smack the inner tube back down with a 2x4 and deadblow hammer. I have every bolt removed. What am I doing wrong? It seems like I am causing harm.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:12 PM

no clue. possibly wd40 the heck out of it. and make sure you clean it completely when done. sounds like it want's to come out maybe that will help it. sorry i couldn't give you a straight answer!

Old 03-01-2013, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Aune
My issue / problem is replacing the fork seals. I have read the posts and the manual. My problem is that I have been pulling on the tubes to seperate them forever. All that happens is that they get wedged and I have to smack the inner tube back down with a 2x4 and deadblow hammer. I have every bolt removed. What am I doing wrong? It seems like I am causing harm.

In my view only 2 things would stop the fork sliders from coming out.

1. the bolt holding the inner sliders/valves not removed (by looking up from the bottom of the axle holder) Easiest to remove with a air impact wrench on reverse)

2. the circlip holding in the top seal

Did you drain the oil etc?

Cheers, SB

Old 03-01-2013, 04:45 AM

+1 What he said^^

Old 03-01-2013, 08:57 PM
Default Getting worn out...

The clips above the seals are out. The bottom bolt holding the inner sliders / valves is out (wrecked the head of the bolt getting them out). The oil has been drained. When I look down the tube with a flashlight I can see a star looking piece with a rubber seal attached to the slider tube.
I have been yanking on it and it has moved. The write ups say you should see the seal coming out while pulling. My seal has stayed out but, the chrome slider tube is moving thousands of an inch at a time. I guess I'll just continue the beat it back in and slam it out approach. I figure if I haven't destroyed it already it will be toast when I'm done

Old 03-01-2013, 09:44 PM
Default Finally apart

Heating with a Propane torch did the trick. Thanks for the replies.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:46 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe put them (fork legs) in a bench vice push the tubes all the way in and
then rapidly pull on them outward in a jack hammering kind of motion.

Man those seals must have been driven to hell into the fork legs or maybe an
adhesive sealant was used last time they were driven in ( BAD idea)

Normally these things just go bam bam bam and they're out

Keep at it and don't ding the tubes