General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New bike, pre ride tune up needed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New bike, pre ride tune up needed.

Hello all, So I am back in the bike scene with a 93 900RR that is sick mint with 13k on the clock. I would like to give it a total tune up and maintenance. I was wondering if there is like a Chilton or other type of tear down manual for this bike and if doing these things would be difficult. I have never worked on bikes before but I am mechanically inclined and work on my own cars (VW's mostly), here is what I need to get done. Coolant flush and fill Spark plugs Jetting of carbs / balancing (saw a good tut on balancing with the carbtune, seems pretty easy!) oil change header back exhaust and my choke lever won't stay up, I have to hold it or it sinks back down Prolly could use and most likely will get new sprockets and chain when I figure out what I want. Thanks!

Old 07-13-2010, 12:02 AM

What you want is a service manual. Ebay has them most of the time. Or, you can find one online and download it. they are in PDF format so they are basically like looking at the book itself. If you can find one, a lot of manuals can be downloaded for free. Check out the sticky on manuals, see if you can find your bike and download it. The only downside is its on your computer, and not in the garage with you. However, you can always print out the pages you need and take them to the garage. I have both pdf and hardcopy for my bike, and I use the hardcopy more often.

Nothing is too difficult as far as maintainance. The carb tuning can be tricky if your not use to it. In all honestly though, if the bike doesn't act like the carbs are out of ballance, there really isn't a need to syncronize them. They rarely go out of adjustment. Its a good idea to clean the carbs, but again, as long as the bike is running fine, not really a need to clean the carbs. Just keep up on fresh fuel and use a good stabilizer when the bike is not being used for a long period of time and you should be fine. Coolant flush, brake fluid flush, oil change is something that should be done since you don't know the history of the last time it was done.

here is one on ebay that is the factory service manual. Thats the one I would suggest getting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by justasquid; 07-13-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:03 AM

Thanks! The reason I ask about the carbs is the bike while maintained well by the previous owner (I am the second owner) it idles a bit rough. The idle may be a bit low so it may just be a idle adjustment, but I hear alot of clanking and it sounds like its struggle to stay at idle. The bike hasn't been ridden (or ridden hard) in a long time so I am going to fill it up with some 93 OCT with some gas treatment and give it a good run and see how it goes. It also feels a bit more vibratious (is that a word? lol) when I sit on it and rev it up, I don't remember my previous one transferring that much vibration but maybe its just me, I haven't rode anything in about 8 years. Any info on what out of sync carbs 'feel' like?

Old 07-15-2010, 09:06 AM

Usually, out of sync carbs will be slow to return to idle. Rough, irratic idle. Normally, out of sync carbs will show signs on the low rpms, but once your in the mid to upper rpms, the bike will run fine. But, thats also the signs of dirt pilot jets. But it should smooth out in the upper rpms, not get more vibration. But, at only 13k miles, I wouldn't think the carbs are out of sync. But thats the hard part about used bikes: you never know what the previous owner did to it.

If the vibration is substantial, I'd suggest making sure all of the engine mounting bolts are tight. Also check to make there are not any crack around the mounts or engine. I also say this since you said there some clanking going on. Bikes will have some noises, vibrations... but if it seems like its too much, its worth checking into. At 13K, I wouldn't think the valves or cct are in need of attention, but its possible.

I would also find out why your choke doesn't stay in place. Its possible that the choke plungers on the carbs are moving causing the bike to not feel right. If they are floating up and down, it could be creating intermitten rich conditions.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:52 PM

Choke on my 95 cbr900rr did exactly the same thing, you would have to hold it and let the bike warm up and then just let it go and it'll go back to normal, people said it's normal when i thought it was bad.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:42 PM

Thanks guys!

I am going to take it to my local Honda dealer and see if they can check out the choke. I may just have them do the coolant flush and brake bleed too. Guess I'll have to wait until I get the service manual to see how difficult that stuff is.

Also, my chain rests on the guard on the top of the swing arm, the black plastic piece. Is that normal? I will try and post some pics tonight and a video of it running. May not be till tomorrow though I gotta shuffle around other non running vehicles lol