General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help trouble shooting GSX-R!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need help trouble shooting GSX-R!!

Hey BassJam, what's the story with this bike? Any word?

Old 02-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need help trouble shooting GSX-R!!

Sorry guys, been busy at work lately and don't have much time to look on here any more. We still haven't done anything to the bike. During Christmas break we took out the engine and were going to take it to a friend of a friend atv and bike mechanic, but then heard some shady stories about him. So we decided to do the work ourselves, but haven't found a time yet to meet up. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have worked on cars and other things my whole life, but the only engine I've ever torn into was a lawnmower, so I'm a little worried about doing this myself and my buddy can barely change the oil himself (obviously).

I was hoping if I could be pointed in the right direction I might be better off and not take apart more than I need, or start with the engine when the tranny could be the problem,but I guess there is no real way of telling until we can look in there. My biggest concern (other than keeping all the parts straight) is that I will see something that is obviously damaged and replace that thinking I've fixed that problem, but miss something else that might be out of spec too.

As far as metal shavings in the oil, I'm glad fishfryer is able to keep everyone straight on that. Engines will wear a little over time, but you should never be able to see metal with the naked eye. What my buddy's bike has are very large metal bits, around 1/16" or 3/32" long. I knew right away that was bad news for him.

Thanks for your opinins guys, if we ever find some nights durung the week or a weekend to start work on this, I'll let you know how it goes.