General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help. Out of ideas...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm. I did remove the pilot jet, cleaned it out with compressed air, carb cleaner, and fishing line.

I tightened it down pretty good, as that is the position that I found it in. Do you really think that could be what is causing this? I really don't want to rip the carbs out again.

Also, to clear the gas in the carbs, do you hold throttle open with ignition key on or off?

Thanks for the help

Old 04-16-2011, 04:25 PM

hmm. I did remove the pilot jet, cleaned it out with compressed air, carb cleaner, and fishing line.

I tightened it down pretty good, as that is the position that I found it in. Do you really think that could be what is causing this? I really don't want to rip the carbs out again.

Also, to clear the gas in the carbs, do you hold throttle open with ignition key on or off?

Thanks for the help
If we are talking about the same jet. The main jet, which is inside the float bowl, gets tightened all the way down. The pilot jet, which is located outside the float bowl towards the front of the carb, gets "set", not all the way down. If you did in fact tighten the pilot jet all the way down, that would explain why its not starting. The pilot jet controls the fueling from idle to about 1/8 throttle input. At that point, the main jet begins to take over. So, if you have the pilot jet completely shut, fuel cannot get into the engine.

As for the wide open start. You do this while trying to start the bike. If the bike is flooded, wide open throttle without the engine running introduces a lot more air than fuel, and can clear out the combustion chamber of a flooded engine. It basically makes the extremely rich "flooded" condition leaner so its able to ignite. It sometimes will work on flooded engines. But it can also have the opposite effect if it doesn't start. You have now introduced a lot more gas into the combustion chamber if it doesn't start.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:02 PM

Run the fuel from tank straight to carbs. Bypass pump. If it fires you know you need a pump.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dan122087
1993 CBR 600

The bike sat all winter without fuel stabilizer. It would not start up when I first tried. I pumped out the old gas, put fresh gas in, still nothing. The plugs were wet, but "looked" good. (I changed them last year). I cleaned them up, let it dry out a bit, and still nothing.

So yesterday I tore it apart, cleaned out the carbs real well, put it back together, and still nothing. Then I checked to see if there actually was spark. Could only get spark out of one plug.

Today I bought 4 new plugs, got spark out of all of them. (coils and wires are all good). Before I put the tank back on, i poured some starting fluid in the carbs and tried starting it. IT WORKED. Fired up and died.

So I put the tank back on, thinking I had it fixed...but I can not get it to fire again.

Am I not getting gas? There is suction at the petcock from the skinny tube that goes to the first carb.

Any help/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
u should drain the gas from the 4 bowl carbs in the first place before u start up , try to use air gap plugs NGK iridium.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:38 AM

Justasquid

I think that is probably my problem. I plan on tearing it apart again tonight. Any idea how far out I should leave that jet? 2 turns?

Thanks again

Old 04-17-2011, 02:00 PM

Well, after tearing her apart again, I realized that I was thinking of something else. The "Pilot screws" that need to be a few turns open are all good. I was thinking you were talking about the two jets that are inside the bowl. Both of those are tightened all the way down and the screw is about 2.5 turns out.

I am stumped again.

There was gas in the bowls, so it has to be something with the carb, right?

Old 04-19-2011, 05:40 PM

Anyone have any other ideas?

Old 04-19-2011, 06:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull out the battery from the bike then use the car battery (off engine) press and hold the start button in 6 sec. and if it is working turn it off the motor asap. unplug the car battery and Put it back the bike battery , if the bike still not working then u need to clean up the combustion chamber.