General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help guys !!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm still thinkin' about Squid's Bank Angle Sensor, or 60 degree sensor, as I call it. I agree that for the tipover, the sensor was the prime suspect in why she wouldn't start. Maybe the extra burst of battery power from the jump start overrode the fault code?

Old 12-21-2009, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Shadowfax
I'm still thinkin' about Squid's Bank Angle Sensor, or 60 degree sensor, as I call it. I agree that for the tipover, the sensor was the prime suspect in why she wouldn't start. Maybe the extra burst of battery power from the jump start overrode the fault code?
well, just found out its not the battery alone bc i tried to go for a ride since the weather finally improved but she wouldnt start and it was happening just as it had before ... but i know its not from sitting too long or anything like that bc ive been cranking her every other day since i havent been riding ... how do you check the sensor in question to reset it ?

Old 12-21-2009, 12:54 PM

Well, it could still be nothing since you say you're running it every day without riding it. The charging systems on our bikes are a little weak, and don't really charge under about 3-4k rpms, so you'd actually be discharging it by starting it, which would drain the battery, and then letting it run, which would put a drain on the battery.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:57 PM

It won't be the bank angle sensor. The sensor is designed to shut the fuel pump off in case the bike is laid on its side. Since you had the bike running again, it wouldnt be the sensor. Also, the bike will still crank over fine, it just wont fire because there wouldnt be any fuel. The sensor doesn't prevent the engine from cranking over.

Dyracuse is on to something though. If you start the bike, it needs to run for awhile to recharge the battery. the batteries on these bikes are so small, it takes a good portion of the available juice to start the bike, then if the battery is not recharged, you are simply killing the battery little by little each day. Although, I disagree in the 3-4K rpm needed to charge the battery. That is the way bikes were a long time ago, but they have come along way and they produce enough voltage at idle to recharge the battery.

If the bike is going to sit for awhile without being ridden, purchase a battery tender. Just hook it up and it will keep your battery at its optimum level.

How far have you driven it?
Have you used a multi-meter to measure the voltage at the battery?, with it running and not?

Old 12-21-2009, 10:04 PM

Well, I was just going off of my f3, which I guess 96 is ancient by today's standard. It could have changed since then.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by dyracuse
Well, it could still be nothing since you say you're running it every day without riding it. The charging systems on our bikes are a little weak, and don't really charge under about 3-4k rpms, so you'd actually be discharging it by starting it, which would drain the battery, and then letting it run, which would put a drain on the battery.
wow , really ? i never knew that (obviously) i always thought it would help since ive always gone with the notion that letting something sit for too long will drain any battery ... but learn something new all the time

Old 12-21-2009, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by justasquid
It won't be the bank angle sensor. The sensor is designed to shut the fuel pump off in case the bike is laid on its side. Since you had the bike running again, it wouldnt be the sensor. Also, the bike will still crank over fine, it just wont fire because there wouldnt be any fuel. The sensor doesn't prevent the engine from cranking over.

Dyracuse is on to something though. If you start the bike, it needs to run for awhile to recharge the battery. the batteries on these bikes are so small, it takes a good portion of the available juice to start the bike, then if the battery is not recharged, you are simply killing the battery little by little each day. Although, I disagree in the 3-4K rpm needed to charge the battery. That is the way bikes were a long time ago, but they have come along way and they produce enough voltage at idle to recharge the battery.

If the bike is going to sit for awhile without being ridden, purchase a battery tender. Just hook it up and it will keep your battery at its optimum level.

How far have you driven it?
Have you used a multi-meter to measure the voltage at the battery?, with it running and not?
i havent hooked a meter up to it to check as of yet , but i will soon to check everything ... and the riding , well, i havent taken long drives but i have put on about mmmm.... 150-200ish miles since purchase (came with 1800miles already on the bike)

Old 12-21-2009, 11:17 PM

another thing is i bought a new battery and didnt think to charge it upon arrival just put it in the bike and it still didnt start ... i think im just going to charge it and see what happens from there (also will be buying a trickle charger or equivalent)