General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need dire help with top end please!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need dire help with top end please!!!!

i started out checking gap on valves there were 6 out .001 so i tore down to check shims to replace.
when i took camshafts out i noticed on #1 intake camshaft bearing journal had some scoring
looked at camshaft holder and cylinder head was scored in the same spot the rest looks good.
in my clymers book it says if scored replace all,would probably cost $1000.00 just to fix this
could i just polish back up and reinstall if still within range? or does someone have any other suggestions?
dont have that kind of money right now, laid off since november

Old 01-26-2009, 02:13 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: need dire help with top end please!!!!

Sorry about the issues with your engine (that blows). On a positive note, you decided to adjust the valve clearances and in turn discovered this problem. Had you chose to ignore it, you probably would've blown your engine.
Found these threads which might shed some light. Seems like your #1 cylinder camshaft journal may not getting sufficient oil, an issue addressed in 2001 by enlarging the oil passageways .5 mm. The ticking noise you heard before was quite probably the journal being scored.
Depending on the severity of damage, ultimately you should consider replacing the head (as per manual). Although I don't think it'll cost near $1K, not for a used one. E-Bay's got complete engines for $700, even less. Maybe shop locally (Craigslist) for one.Hopefully someone withsome expertise can jump-in.

http://cbrworld.net/forums/thread/206600.aspx
http://www.bikez.com/msgboard/msg.ph...&type=bike(go down 12)

Last edited by Incognito; 01-27-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:22 PM

dang, sorry about your luck man.

I wouldnt try to polish out. You'll just end up egg shaping the journal and you will have tight spots when you reinstall the cam. those spots will quickly enlarge and the cam will start walking, then fail. even a few thousands of an inch out of round and your bike will not make it very far. They need to match the cam exactly.

I agree with Incognito. A used head may be the best alternative. A couple of hundred should get you a decentcylinder head.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:57 AM

+1, you don't want to go cheap in this area. Sorry about the job bud and good luck.