General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it my cable or clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is it my cable or clutch?

Sorry to start a new thread on clutches but I need a better idea as to whether I have a stretched clutch cable or just a clutch component getting old.

My first bike is an '89 CBR 600F with over 40k miles that I just replaced a cracked crankcase cover on. When taking off the old cover i just forced the clutch cable out of the slot so maybe that stretched it? It shifted great before though was adjusted out reasonably far...
I have only owned it since July so I'm major NewB. I used a new gasket with silicone and put fresh 10W-40 synblend in; same weight but different brand.
When I got the replacement cover on, the clutch was dragging (couldn't shift out of first with engine running and had to hold bike in place with brake while in gear).
I have been playing with the cable perch and the adjustment down by the case and it will shift fine for a couple minutes and then i have to adjust it again> Both points are adjusted nearly all the way out and so I am not sure what to think.
I'm new to motorcycles and didn't want to mess with the clutch when i had the cover off (it shifted fine anyway) so just want to know what you all think. thanks

Old 09-01-2010, 08:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you could have several issues going on. 1st off, clutch cables do stretch, it would also be wise to check the routing of the cable & make sure its not bending drastically anywhere + when you replaced the original cable, did you reposition it back in the slot as it was before? If you're nearly at the end of adjustment with it, then chances are the cable is toast.
2nd thing that crossed my mind, with some bikes with higher clicks, replacing mineral based oil with synthetic or semi synthetic (& vice versa) can play havoc with wet clutches.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by pacemaker
2nd thing that crossed my mind, with some bikes with higher clicks, replacing mineral based oil with synthetic or semi synthetic (& vice versa) can play havoc with wet clutches.
I think you're right in that the issue is most likely the clutch cable. The issue is that he's not able to get the clutch to fully disengage. I can see where changing the oil could cause the clutch to slip, but causing it to not disengage I think a stretch. IMO naturally.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:49 AM

cant answer your question but for $50 i would just replace the cable, mine broke so i had to anyway. Since its an older bike i'd just start replacing things even if they werent broke, but that just me

Old 09-02-2010, 02:56 AM

I will check out getting a new cable, couldn't hurt. I just am without a job right now so that just makes spending money tough. Hey a stretched cable is a lot better than messed up clutch pack.
I have never changed or adjusted clutch cable but I am pretty sure it had full syn in it before and I changed to synblend (was my first bike oil change :0) so I don't know if that helps or hurts this situation... Just a curiousity...if the oil makes the plates grab now when they weren't before, what do you do about it?