General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 4 hour oil change fiasco

Old 02-09-2006, 06:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 4 hour oil change fiasco

I posted this in the f4 sections, somebody suggested i ask you fine folks if you can help me repair my bike...

Have a look

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This moron tried to change the air fiter on his 2000 CBR F4, and he fust it up. He figured, hey i can do this, after after all I do pump my own gas. He didn't notice the 10'th screw on the top of the ail box and just started yanking on it trying to get the air filter out. All of a sudden he hears some seals ripping and the whole air box comes off the bike. By the way, i was that moron. [sm=bangbang.gif]

Apparantly to chage the air filter you only have to take off the top part of the air filter box. I yanked on it so hard that the whole box came off.

So help me out you guys. I can put the box back, but i'm concerned about the seals. Look at this picture. There is sone sort of seal on the air holes on the bike. Those need to be replaced before i put the air box back right?

I always thought that magically the fuel in the gas tank found its way into the motor. I found out today that it drains thru a fragile hose. In the process of removing the gas tank i ripped that hose right in half. Did you guys know ther's a fuel off switch? I was like hell-yah!!! I did not want to hold my finger on the tube all day.

The fuel tank has 3 hoses. 2 dont connect to anything, they just drain apparantly, but one of them connecs to a pump or something. I broke that one.

I was looking thru bikebandit.com to find out which part it is, but i'm too dumb. Its about 5 inches, just a regular hose. I got the clamp that keeps it on.

here's a diagram
http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandi..._id~380101.asp

You know wha the best part is? I did it so i could add a K & N air filter, cause its reusable. When i got it all apart, a K&N filter was already on the bike. Clean as ****, did not need to be washed.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanx

Old 02-09-2006, 06:57 AM
Default RE: My 4 hour oil change fiasco

You need to be more patient and careful when you work on things. Id hate to see what you could do if you tried to tighten the chain.
It looks like you need to replace the seals around each air stack, you could possibly get away without replacing them but you run the risk of dirt and particles being sucked down the stacks without going through the air filter. Then replace the broken fuel line running from the petcock to the fuel pump with a new one. Just go to the parts store with the old one and match it for size and the length you think youll need.

Old 02-09-2006, 08:37 AM
Retired Administrator

You can go to most auto parts shop and show them the hose to match a replacement. They have spools in the back with every size on it.

Old 02-09-2006, 09:54 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely replace the seals to the carbs. As far as the fuel line I'll jump on the wagon and say go to the parts store. The only problem you may encounter is if it's a formed line -- straight hose may kink up. In that case you'd need to find it at a dealer.

Old 02-09-2006, 09:59 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, that part is #13 on the list -- TUBE A, FUEL 228185-001 $3.31

Old 02-09-2006, 11:53 AM

LOL!!!! Man, i don't know if I could come on this board and admit I did all of that! You got some *****!

Old 02-10-2006, 02:34 AM

Thanx for all your help you guys. It sounds like that hose is cheap, i'l just replace it. Probably the seals too. I guess i got too excited. I change my first oil ever, on anything, and i was too excited. Yanked too hard on it.

Thanx for the part number too.

Old 02-11-2006, 06:20 PM

One tip: You might want to consider replacing the fuel filter while you're in there. I believe it's the cylinder shapped item that your fuel hose connects to. Probably a $15 dollar part. They should be changed every 8-10,000 mi.