F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

15 hour trip. Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 03:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 15 hour trip. Help please.

So come next summer, I plan on making a 15 hour trip, and then an 8. Within a week, and not going home in between. My bike is an 05 CBR600f4i, with all 11.000 miles put on by yours truly. I'm wondering since I'll have new tires, all fluids in tip top shape, and new chain and brakes (all done by the dealer) if I have anything mechanically that I need to worry about for such a long trip.

Thanks guys!

The only reason I'm asking now, is cause I won't see the bike till about 2 weeks before I leave, so I won't have much time to make changes.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the bike should be fine. if your that worried, periodically check your fluids, chain tension, and tire pressure.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:15 AM

Your bike is still new. Only thing I would do is get some gas stabilizer since you don't want varnish to clog stuff when gone for that long.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:28 AM

earplugs, earplugs, and oh, get some earplugs

hopefully you have a throttle lock and a nice seat as well so you can relax and lean back a bit. I went on a 3 ride last week and my wrist and a$$ were killing me by the time it was over. i can't even imagine the pains of a 15 hour ride.

Last edited by Sick97SS; 11-19-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:39 AM

Um EARPLUGS!!!!!!!! I have a 2001 f4i (split seat), I went to virginia this season and made a backrest out of my dufflebag and bought a corbin seat and a throttle rocker right before we left. It was absolutley the best purchase ive ever made. I wasn't fatigued after a 6 hour ride at all!

Old 11-19-2009, 10:43 AM

What kind of earplugs do you guys wear? I know it's bad but, I use sony earbuds and they sort of help seal some noise from outside.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:56 AM

The highest db rated earplugs you can find. check the hunting section in Wally World

Old 11-19-2009, 11:04 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent

You don't need Sta-Bil for two weeks; you could go two months & be OK.
Any kind of earplug will do. Some like the squishy disposable foam ones, I like the re-usable rubber plugs.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:05 PM

I wear earplugs sometimes, in ear disposable. But yeah, long trip, wouldn't have thought of it. Sometime I use noise canceling headphones. (I'd get bored w/o music).

It's in storage now, all winterized and whatnot. So when it comes out, it'll basically be good to go for the season, minus some tires. I also plan to stop every 200 miles or so, fill the tank, and take a break.

I plan on riding from right outside Chicago, down to the Dragon, taking a day or two to ride it, then up to Cleveland to see family. Google maps has it pegged at like 19 hours. But I'm sure that's obeying all the speed limits So really i'll do two 10 hour days.

Thanks for all the advice!

Old 11-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mechanically, from what you've said, you sound good to go. My recommendation is more of an accessory suggestion... In those areas you are going, at this time of yr, be sure to take a good *rain-suit*. ;-) It really stinks to ride wet!

Additional recommendations...
*Towel - for seat & helmet visor. Forget carrying a cover, too much bulk.
*Cable-ties - since you're going to The Dragon. ;-)
*Multi-tool
*Flashlight
*Tire Pressure Gauge

Pre-plan your rescue options in case of breakdown. Ie., road-assistance plan, AAA, etc. Always good to give a buddy/family your trip plan. Surprisingly, on my trips, folks have always been pretty nice on helping when in need...but you can't depend on this.

You can accessorize yourself to death. Just take what you need. B/f trip, lay out everything & pre-pack. You'll be glad you did.

Good luck on your trip. Post up some pics too! ;-)

Quick Reply: 15 hour trip. Help please.