General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing shifts (grinding) 5th and 6th only

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing shifts (grinding) 5th and 6th only

First off, it is a 2005 F4i with almost 9,000 miles on the clock. I have had her for only a couple months, but I am no stranger to bikes. This is my 6th bike and I have been riding for over 20 years in the dirt and 7 years on the street.

I have put about 3,000 miles on her since I got her and she is due for an oil change this weekend. Other than that, she is mint! (Well I'll have to do the CCT soon, starting to hear a little buzz around 5k only when the bike is cold.)

So the problem is when I am up shifting into 5th or 6th gear, it sometimes misses the shift and grinds really bad. I have to pop it up again for it to get into gear. It seems to do it more when at low RPMs compared to high RPMs. It also only does it when I have the clutch engaged, if I up shift without using the clutch, she pops right into gear with no issues. When I shift into 2nd, 3rd or 4th it pops right into gear with no issues and I can hear it pop and feel it in my foot. When I up shift into 5th and/or 6th it does not "pop", I can't hear it go into gear or feel it in my foot, even when it shifts correctly. The issue is totally random and I can't seem to re-create it, just happens whenever.

I originally thought it could be a clutch issue, but after speaking with a mechanic he said if it was a clutch it would effect all gears, not just 5th and 6th. I guess this makes sense, but I'm no mechanic... He also said that it might be the cheap oil they used at the dealer since it has been getting worse as I put on more miles, but it should effect all gears as well.

Either way, they want a butt load of money to open up the trans and take a look around. Does anyone have any ideas before I fork over the cash? I am of course going to wait till after I do the oil change to have the mechanic look, but I want to get some other opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-19-2009, 12:08 PM

sounds like a shifter fork issue or something..

it's probably cheaper to find a whole used motor and just use that in the mean time then tear this one day. the dealer is just going to bend you over and then you have to worry about it being put back together correctly..

Old 08-19-2009, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by mxpunk
sounds like a shifter fork issue or something..

it's probably cheaper to find a whole used motor and just use that in the mean time then tear this one day. the dealer is just going to bend you over and then you have to worry about it being put back together correctly..

If it is a shift fork issue, isn't that a pretty easy fix?

So I should spend $900+ (shipped) on an new motor and then pay probably another $400 - $600 to get it installed rather than pay the $500 to $800 to get it fixed? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, unless I am missing something here?

Old 08-19-2009, 12:40 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

if you are mechanically inclined id say you could probably do the repairs yourself.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by HAVOC
if you are mechanically inclined id say you could probably do the repairs yourself.
I am, but not sure where to start? Hoping to get some feedback here so I have a base and can work my way up.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:14 AM

Have I stumped the masses? haha

Old 08-20-2009, 06:44 PM

you should try posting this in the f4 I section you will probably be able to find someone whos done this before and can help you out. i know on the 929 you can get to the trans through the oil pan with the engine still in the bike but im not too familiar with f4is.