General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maryland CBR owners...question

Old 12-21-2009, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maryland CBR owners...question

If your Maryland bike has any type of salvage or brand on the title, does the title make it blatantly obvious? Reason i'm asking, i just purchased a bike that was last titled in Maryland, and the title looks ok....but just for curiosity sake i had someone run a carfax on it for me, and it comes back as salvaged in Pennsylvania.....The title has no "S" "R" Salvage, or rebuilt salvage or brands on it, the numbers on the frame are definitely ligit looking and match the paperwork. Title has an eagle watermark, the whole 9 yards....Curious if any of you guys from Maryland have come across a Salvage title and that it's easily identifiable. Just very odd. Thanks!

Old 12-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Mich. the titles are orange instead of green.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:13 PM

Thanks for the response Skooby, i took the incentive of calling the DMV earlier and giving them the title number, they assured me it was 100% clean

Old 12-22-2009, 07:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's possible is the bike (or at least the frame) was involved in an incident here in PA to deserve a PA Salvage title. And then it was retitled in Maryland.

To be honest, it's not that difficult for a full fairing bike to be salvaged. Road rash on enough of the fairings and it's nearing the total mark for many insurance carriers. Some states also issue salvage titles for bikes recovered from theft. If Maryland DMV says its good and it passed inspection, why worry bout it? Especially if the title doesn't say 'Salvage' or 'Reconstructed' (mine's reconstructed with maxxed miles on it)

Old 12-23-2009, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
What's possible is the bike (or at least the frame) was involved in an incident here in PA to deserve a PA Salvage title. And then it was retitled in Maryland.

To be honest, it's not that difficult for a full fairing bike to be salvaged. Road rash on enough of the fairings and it's nearing the total mark for many insurance carriers. Some states also issue salvage titles for bikes recovered from theft. If Maryland DMV says its good and it passed inspection, why worry bout it? Especially if the title doesn't say 'Salvage' or 'Reconstructed' (mine's reconstructed with maxxed miles on it)

Kuro,
Yeah, i'm not too worried about it after talking to Maryland DMV....just thought once a salvage, salvage forever......i'm all good with it now

Old 12-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jloshotz
Kuro,
Yeah, i'm not too worried about it after talking to Maryland DMV....just thought once a salvage, salvage forever......i'm all good with it now
Nah most states will allow a person to have their 'Salvage' status changed to reconstructed. The vehicle has to pass an 'extensive' inspection to do so. Haven't done it myself but I'm guessing they do more than flip the turns signals and go 'ok!'

Old 12-23-2009, 07:18 PM

Salvage inspections are a NIGHTMARE.....definitely not an easy deal....i had to change an entire frame to get around that once. Never again lol

Old 12-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jloshotz
Salvage inspections are a NIGHTMARE.....definitely not an easy deal.
Mine was a piece of cake. My tires looked like race slicks, and my rear turn signals were there but just hanging by the wires. The ONLY thing I did before inspection was put on a muffler since it didn't have one when I bought it (from a police auction)(hence the salvage title, not an insurance salvage) I rode it up to the police station, dropped it off, paid 60 bucks, then picked it up the next day with everything I needed to acquire a "rebuilt" title. If I ever have any nightmares like that I might just wake up with sticky underwear.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:19 AM

Sometimes the bike can be salvaged but the original "clean" title not turned back into the DMV. When you cross state lines with the "clean" title, chances are it will be registered in the new state as a "clean" title. Don't sell it to someone from the original state it was salvaged in unless you inform them of the brand. They may be a little cranky when they transfer the title and it comes back salvage.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by lil_schmitty01
Sometimes the bike can be salvaged but the original "clean" title not turned back into the DMV. When you cross state lines with the "clean" title, chances are it will be registered in the new state as a "clean" title. Don't sell it to someone from the original state it was salvaged in unless you inform them of the brand. They may be a little cranky when they transfer the title and it comes back salvage.
Now there's a good thought schmitty, i hadn't thought of that angle. The bike is in great shape, and i don't have any intentions of getting rid of it here, there, or anywhere good point to ponder though, i really didn't think along those lines...thanks for the input on that