General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lowering my 98 900rr

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 08:22 AM
bez
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering my 98 900rr

first of all yes i have reasd the thread on here about why you should not lower your bike, but i am gonna do it anyway more my question is about this kit http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CBR90...Q5fAccessories

i am a little sketchy with the quality of this kit with the turnbuckle type piece vs a solid one piece design.

your oppinions is appreciated

Old 01-10-2011, 06:40 AM
bez

30 views and not 1 oppinion you have to be kidding me

Old 01-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my momma told if I cant say nothing nice to not say nothing at all

Old 01-10-2011, 06:36 PM
bez

sweet i got ya... can anyone guide in the dirrection of a good kit i found the myrtle west kits for around 179.00 to cheaper one for 40.00 for cheaper ones. what is a quality kit to choose?

Old 01-11-2011, 05:01 AM

You didn't mention how far you are planning on lowering it, or why. If its only for looks, I'd say don't do it. If you need it due to your height, try shaving some foam from the seat instead to see if you can get the seat low enough.

the turnbuckle style has an advantage with it being able to be finely tuned to the ride height you want. Others just give you a few different hole locations that you are stuck with. If you have the money, the turnbuckle is probably the way to go. If money is tight, then buy a one piece. I don't really know of any good kits. My wifes R6 and 636 both were lowered, and I just bought links on ebay. They were stainless steel where the originals were aluminum, so I didn't worry about strength issues.

Your going to need a lowered kickstand as well. Again, its a money thing. the adjustable ones are cool. But I just cut down and rewelded the pad on for my wifes kickstands.

You are also going to need to lower the front as well. Im pretty sure on that bike you can loosen the triple clamps and slide the fork tubes through. You really don't want to go more than an inch on the front, 3/4 being ideal. There isn't much in the way of travel on the front suspension.

Also, the only reason I lowered my wifes bikes was because she is only 5'3", and she needed to be able to flat foot it. She just didn't have the strength to hold a bike on its side at traffic stops. Also, she was never going to be riding aggressively around corners. If you are a person who rides aggressively at all, I wouldn't do it. If you are short, and need too, its one thing. But still, the lowered bike will affect the handling.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:08 AM
bez

thank you justaaquid i was looking for 2" in the rear and 1" up front but am not opposed to the 3" drop in the rear, and the reason is for a coupple of reasons. I'm 5-9 and sometimes backing the bike up if i hit a little raise or decent size stone i dont get enough bend in my legs to push the bike. Next i live 25 mins away from local dragstrip and i do run my cbr there. Finally i dont have to worry about overloading the bike with a passenger cause my GF cant ride due to a car accident she was in and sustained back injuries from, riding a sport bike KILLS her back. I just want a good quality kit that is safe.