General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a bike for girlfriend, is this it???

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a bike for girlfriend, is this it???

Can you guys/gals help me? My knowledge of motorcycles is very limited in regards to repairs. I am a noob and trying to learn. I want to get a bike for my girlfriend but save a little money on it by making a winter project out of it. can you give me some advice on this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks again,
Justin

Old 02-08-2007, 07:34 AM
Default RE: Looking for a bike for girlfriend, is this it???

i dont think its worth it them bikes are 2500bucks brand new and he wants 900 plus you will spend a nother 500 in repairs to get it back going and its a 93 model.....no

Old 02-08-2007, 08:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know much about prices over there, but these guys can leak oil up through the air box, 250's are always an "iffie", cause they usually have the buggery thrashed out of them by inexperienced riders, with usual dings and scratches. I agree that if the price is close to a newie then go that way, let your girlfirend at least have the benefit of a bike that you know will be ok from the get go. If you have to go 2nd hand then I would be trawling through the local papers and dealers (for a warranty) and at least be able to actually see wot your getting. Take someone else with you to kick the tyres, check the oil, and to sit on the bike while you inspect the front end for bearings & possible fork damage. Those fairings can hide a lot of "history" so take a panel off.
Kawaski makes a decent bike, I've owned a few ancestors of the one your looking at and have had very few problems.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:20 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definately look into a smaller bikes for her (if she isn't an avid rider as of now), so the bike you're looking at is the perfect size, but I think you could find something newer and more reliable for just a few hundred more.

Like Mikey said, these are about 2500 brand-new, I would just throw a few hundred down, and get a 2 year loan for her to pay. Therefore, she feels like she needs to take care of it because she's paying something for it, and not something she can trash because her boyfriend bought it for her.

I'm a firm believer that if a girlfriend wants something, she pays for it. Everything I've ever bought for my ex that I just "gave" to her was trashed. Notice how I said EX. (due to that reason alone).

I'll tell you though, being a bachelor is cheaper, less stressful and you have SO much more time for projects, LOL! kidding, but not really.

.....sorry, just a little off-point there.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:29 AM

[sm=boohoo.gif]sooooo true blue fox. Good call on payments. Thanks for helping a noob out guys

Old 02-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Registered Users

Get her a honda!!! and get a 600 she'll be pissed if she's got something so slow all she ever see's of you is a tiny speck off in the distance, She's gunna crash one way or the other, all of us do sooner or later. If she cant keep up, she'll be pissed and wont bother tring....i agree with the makin her pay for it, pay for her to take the Motorcycle safteylass. Most dealership's offer it, or can atleast tell you where to go, it cost's around 500$ but ive heard nothing but good things about it. Buy cycle trader's they come out once a week, it'll give you an idea on what most people are asking for what.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:12 PM

The 250 will be able to keep up as long as you dont race her on it. I rode a 250 for the last two years and the only time that i wasnt able to keep up with everyone is when they just took off. But you really really cant go wrong learning on the 250. They are a blast to ride around town. You might even sneak rides on it. They are very light and easy to throw around with just your weight, makes riding sooooooo much fun.

Josh