General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

kick some A$$

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kick some A$$

ok here's my problem. i just bought a jsut 1990 cbr 600f and out the gate it ran great, but after a day here come the problems. the second day i took it iut she started to run hard, and did so for a few minutes. then completly died. she would not turn iver for the life of me an dthen fininay did somehow. I was out ridding a few days later and she died on m ein town. so i push her to a local shop and they trickle charged her for about 4 hours. i twas enough to let me ride her home and then to a nearby town 10 min away. where here she completely died on me again. someguys and i tried to push start her but she would never fire. finally a guy came by and told me he had cables at his house and so i walked her there and he jumped her for about 15 mins. he followed me home just to make sure i didn' tget stranded. and i didn't.. after i got home i tore her apart and still trying to figure out the problem. my air filter was saturated with fuel when i took it out. and i found out from the guy that i bought it off of that no maintenence was done in her since sept of last year.

don't know what i should do.... Should i go and kick his *** for selling me a pice of crap (J.K) but seriously what can i do to fix my bike so i can be confident that i will always make it to my destination?

Old 08-23-2007, 02:41 PM
I ♥ CBRF
Default RE: kick some A$$

Last 2 bikes I bought used andI immediatly changed the oil and replaced the air filters (just cause you never know what the last guy did or didn't do). In your case if the air filter was that bad expect to replace the plugs, battery, oil and clean the carbs. I suspect the plugs and battery are at fault in this case but it sounds like there may also bea problem with the charging system. Not sure why jumping it works but push starting it doesn't fire. Test the battery, replace the simple stuff as mentioned above and drive it around (close to home)to see how it runs before it leaves you stranded again.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:43 PM

ok i will try these things, but another question is a friend said it might be the ecm or possibly the rectifier. ifg it is am i talking about big bucks and a difficult change?

Old 08-23-2007, 04:20 PM

My boy just picked up a 94 CBR1000F that was about as neglected as you can get. The thing wouldnt even run well enough to test ride. He spent 750 bucks just to get it running at the dealer, and could spend another 1500 in cosmetics since it was dropped a few times. Two options I would consider: get it running well enough to sell it without losing money, or tear it down, fix everything and keep her ( only a few good months of weather anyway ). The 90 was a good year, I had a 91.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:29 PM
I ♥ CBRF

Honda's are such easy bikes to work on IMO and a good starter to learn on. Could be the Coils or the Rectifier but if you haven't done anything to the battery that is the place to start. I've found that its always the simple cheap stuff that causes the problem. If its your ECM orRectifierits super easy to install but not sure about the cost (ebay is your best friend).