General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keyless Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes you can use a USB port and thumb drive that you guy out and make into a circuit, I think it's one of the best ways to do this since nobody really uses it, and there's a few options for the pins, plus nobody expects it since it's not too popular yet. I would just put a button on along with the USB.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:07 PM

has anyone tried a proximity ignition? such as they use on some luxury cars?

i.e. Lexus' key fob only has to be on someone in the vehicle to start the car with the push button. If they are not in the car it does not start. Could this be incorporated to say a 1 foot radius from underneath the seat perhaps?

Old 04-13-2012, 10:38 PM

Yeah, but at that point it would be more expensive than getting a new key. It would be a big pain in the butt...but you could do it. Easiest way to do it would be modify a cheap remote ignition, just modify it to always have the start function running, so when you get in range of it and press a switch to open the ignition switch it would start the bike...don't know how you could modify the range, but the cheap ones have crappy range anyways.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:12 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

yep might do that next got a wiring diagram already and I think it should only cost about $20 give or take a few. I was thinking a write up after I got it working first step was needing a reason to actually do it. Snapped my key and now I have a reason.

So this is what I was thinking for the ignition switch, before I go through with it, just wanted a sanity check that it makes sense.

Last edited by CJardine; 04-14-2012 at 12:30 AM. Reason: damn thing posted before I was done.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:12 AM

im considering going the keyless route too but i plan on using an rfid setup for security reasons.
RFID Wireless Ignition How-To 05 B12 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Old 04-14-2012, 01:31 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

Hey boxdgm gotcbr directed me to some good info. And I have a really good wiring diagram on how to do the rfid ignition. It's a lot clearer than the cf thread and I'm trying to make it plug into the wiring harness in place of the key ignition.

Last edited by CJardine; 04-14-2012 at 01:55 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:46 AM

I more or less posted it for the parts list which you already have most of and it has links to the rfid stuff you would need should you choose to try it out. I have an 89 f1 so it would probably be much easier to wire up on my bike but you should definetely make a write up no matter what way you end up doing. I just don't like the idea of a toggle switch stopping someone form stealing my bike.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:00 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

its not a permanent solution, I just had the stuff on hand an only had to pick up a switch. I will deff do a write-up, just need to actually do it.

The end result Im looking for (now that its cheaper to do that than buy a new ignition)
P1102332 - YouTube

Old 04-14-2012, 10:05 AM

That's really cool actually, I might have to think about doing that someday!

Old 04-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Oh yea and if you want to do that proximity ignition here you go . Do people want me to do a write-up of the RFID ignition or manual switch or both? I don't have the materials to do the proximity stuff but maybe someday. I can however get a wiring diagram on how to do it.

Hands_Free_Ignition.wmv - YouTube

Quick Reply: Keyless Ignition