General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keyless Ignition

Old 04-13-2012, 02:55 AM
Track junkie & modaholic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyless Ignition

1999 CBR600F4

Ok, So Im planning on doing a keyless ignition since I've had a recent accident, well I snapped my key off inside of it. Well money is a bit tight for me right now, So I figure I'll wire up a keyless ignition until I can replace it with a keyed one. Now I know there is the whole theft issue and this is what I figure, I know I can wire a kill switch using the kickstand and run it back underneath my passenger seat. I also plan on wiring the ignition switch back there as well Still thinking up ideas on accessing the area under the seat. Maybe an electric trunk release that is key fob activated? Not sure yet. That will come.

Ok so that everyone is on the same page here are the wiring diagrams I am using.

Now here is a wiring harness I was able to get from my friend off of his totaled F4. This is all I have from the ignition and I don't want to bust open mine just yet.

Now this is the other side I flipped it so the wires are in the same spot in the photo.

Now that we are all on the same page, here we go.

Red wire comes directly from the main fuse (30A) /starter relay
Red /Black wire goes to three Fuses (10A) that power the headlight, ignition, starter, Fuel Solenoid, and finally the remaining lights /horn.
Blue /Pink wire goes to the fourth fuse (10A) and it powers the fan
Pink wire is the wire that has that special diode attached to it. It connects to a yellow /red wire that sends a signal to the ICM
Diode Steps the signal down from 12v to 9v; attaches to the Pink wire.

Phew ok. Now would I be able to take a switch that had a on /off capability much like this one:

Attach the Red /Blk, Blu /Pnk and Pnk wires to the on (Positive) side and the Red wire to the off (Negative) side. Flip the switch and start the bike like that?

Thanks guys and I am serious about this so please don't just blow it off.

Last edited by CJardine; 04-13-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:36 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

I floated the leads off of the plastic and I'm gonna try and see if it will work. Another idea I had was instead of a secondary kill switch attached to the kickstand I would attach that to the pink wire, as to prevent the bike being started up all together Or I remember reading somewhere, I think it was on this forum, that I could use a usb that I gutted and use that to complete the circuit.

Hopefully the ignition switch wont be too difficult.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:23 AM

yea i think that would work just fine, your just bypassing the key switch with a on/off flip switch. kinda like hotwiring your bike loool. you could take those wires and connect them to test it out, then make the final changes.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:30 AM

I wired a push-button start in my old miata. I'll do a little digging to see what I did with that. It should be a lot simpler on the bike, as there is no "crank" on the ignition switch.

The only thing that I would say is use a relay. I don't know that a simple 2-way toggle switch can hold the amps going through it.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:16 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

the diode must be installed on the pink wire to step down the voltage or it wont start. armyjeff is right, make sure you get a toggle switch that can handle the amps or use the switch to activate a relay, or two, and power it up that way.

demon

Old 04-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

@CJardine - I think you're getting a good handle on it.

74Demon is absolutely correct about the diode & pink wire.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Sweet thanks guys. And I have the diode as well. I was really tired when I brought up the secondary killswitch, what I was thinking of doing is either wiring another switch to break the kickstands circuit. Or doing the same thing with the pink wire either with a switch or a gutted usb drive. I'm getting a 30a switch today from radio shack or autozone so I'll report back.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:12 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Went to Radioshack today, they only had switches that went up to 20A think that will be fine till I can find a 30A one? I have a few relays rated to 30A but Im savin them for something truly awesome. If the switch doesn't work I will move to a 30A switch, if still having trouble than I will move to relays.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Id put in a relay to be safe. A standard 4 pin relay will work great.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

grumble grumble. Ok I'll do it right. BUT!! If it works I'm blaming you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Keyless Ignition