General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jerky shifting

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jerky shifting

near new 06 F4i 4k mi - shifts great freshly lubed /cleaned chain but it runs like dog**** otherwise. within two days it is just jerky and at first i thought it was the suspension but ive since made some adjustments to prevent all the dive and stuff but now im realizeing it is prolly chain related. the chain seems to engage tension and disengage with tension from the axle every time i accel or decel. I don't knowif this means too loose or too tight. (I weight about 290....so I wondered if it would loosen up a little with time....but it really hasn't)

Any suggestions or feedback on what to do to smooth it out? I have a good baseline for what it's supposed to feel like with an old f3, nighthawk, and a GS 500.

Old 12-20-2006, 05:41 PM
Default RE: jerky shifting

man, i read this title and just realized how much I freakin love beef jerky. Pemican is the bomb! I used to have friends that would hunt in TX and make venison jerky, that was a winner too!

Old 12-20-2006, 06:01 PM

That's pretty rad and I am a beef jerky lover too, but this doesn't really do much to help me with my shifting jerky problem =)

Old 12-20-2006, 06:04 PM

LOL, funny I just made some jerky last night.MMMMMmmmm jerky.

Anyway, 290!!
the chain seems to engage tension and disengage with tension from the axle every time i accel or decel.
explain this a bit more....

Old 12-20-2006, 06:21 PM

What i'm talking about is pretty subtle, so take the noobiness into consideration. When decelerating, throttle off, biketorqueseems to disengage, but not smoothly. It jerks into decelerating. Then, when acceleratingas normal. when i throttle it, the engine torque seems to go up but not smoothly, it jerks into acceleration. It seems to be either on or off whereas many bikes ive ridden before smoothly torque into accel/decel. It is much smoother after a fresh lube on teh chain, but it goes away after a few days. Overall there feels like too much resistance on the chain, but this is a gut level guess.

Old 12-20-2006, 06:24 PM

Check the chain for over tight, which is what I'm guessing. Should have some freeplay even with you sitting on it.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:24 PM

The chain does tighten slightly when you sit on it. I'm a big guy myself at about 220 so I know my bike squats quite a bit when I sit on it and when I get off it sighs sarcastically but I pay it no mind. If you are 290 I would have someone look at the chain when you are sitting on it to see how tight it is. You should probably be on a bigger bike.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:19 PM
Banned

My 06 F4i is the same, I believe it is the fuel injection calibration creating abrupt on/off throttle especially when trying to drive the thing easy. The early FI systems are not as smooth as a good carb set-up.

Old 12-22-2006, 01:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always check your freeplay with someone sitting on the bike, compresses the suspension.
Jap gearboxes can sometimes take a while to free up. Even the way you change gears, clutch & chain adjustment & the type (and age) of your oil, can all have an effect.
What the bloody hell is Beef Jerky? Is it anything like those dried dog turd looking things they sell in the servo's? Give me a decent meat pie with tomato sauce any day (Dogs eye, & dead horse)

Old 12-22-2006, 01:24 PM

I appreciate the insight but "should be on a bigger bike" doesn't really help me solve my problem. 1. I specifically want a 600 because I don't want something faster. 2. The bike shifts smoothly when FRESHLY lubed. 3. Dudes with a chick on the back hit 300 lb loads all day long and the bike doesnt jerk around. 4. the bike's manual states a max load of 380 or something. It is a reasonable expectation to have a nearly new honda that doesnt jerk around town.

The carb vs. injectors thing is something worth considering. I think my conclusion is that I need to adjust the chain before troubleshooting any further.