General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jerky low revs, when warm does not start so well - CBR600 FS2 2002

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 04:45 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jerky low revs, when warm does not start so well - CBR600 FS2 2002

Hi, This is going to be a long post.
So, last time when I was touring, I had some issues where my idle dropped from usual 1300 to 1000-900 and became floaty, low revs were a bit jerky.
I would have to turn over the engine for couple seconds for it to start.

I asked around the area I was at that moment, and done some quick internet research, and I managed to find a locally famous motorcycle 'chop shop'.

Lads there, checked out my bike, and said that my pressure regulator was on the verge of giving up, spark plug on my 3rd cylinder was dying (dirty and black - they said the pressure reg was leaking fuel on it)

They couldn't get an oem part during my stay there (I was pressed by time, was on my way back, had 600 miles left to do, and arrangements made in my destination) so they modified a used kawasaki pressure regulator.
Got a new set of spark plugs as well. The bike behaved like new.

I've done about 1500 miles from that time, and couldn't really complain. Not long ago, original symptoms slowly crept back and I got down to 28mpg..
I took the bike to my local garage and got a new oem pressure regulator in place of that kawasaki one.

It didn't really help much, revs stablised, but there is still something wrong, I can feel that the idle is a bit floaty, low revs are a tad jerky and when the engine is warm I need to turn it over a bit longer than when the bike was healthy. (It still starts instantly when cold)

Still, I am not sure if the oem pressure reg will help my mpg to rise, I barely done 80 miles since change.

Should I go for spark plug change? My mechanic said it's not needed, but I actually know he didn't even look at them.
What other things can cause above described symptoms?

It's nothing big really - just a bit annoying.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:29 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

When you turn the ignition on, before you start it - does the fuel pump seem to take a little longer to prime than usual?

Old 11-21-2014, 07:26 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Conrice
When you turn the ignition on, before you start it - does the fuel pump seem to take a little longer to prime than usual?
When I turn my key, tacho goes from 1-redline in about 1 second. Priming sound lasts twice as much, so it's about 2 seconds time.

I believe I would notice it getting considerably longer