General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jack Stand Point

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jack Stand Point

So I'm having a hell of a time here. I'm broke, so there's definitely no buying a front stand. I don't have rafters, so I can't lift the bike from there. I need to change my fork seals today, because my front end is just getting too sloppy to be comfortable with.

I need to know if I can comfortably place jack stands under this point on both sides of the bike (not sure what it is, engine mounts maybe?)

Name:  IMG_20110716_143147.jpg
Views: 1416
Size:  58.2 KB

And Yes I know this engine is filthy, haven't had a chance to clean it up yet since I got it.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:05 AM

Do whatever works. As long as the bike feels stable you'll be fine. If you are worried aboout damage, it doesn't look like there is anything there you could hurt. I use a small hydraulic jack under the header pipes.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:54 AM

Are the front fork seals actually leaking? If not you could check the oil level to see if there is the correct amount in there. Or it might just need the steering head bearings adusting if that is the problem. Depends on what you mean by 'sloppy'. Loose steering head bearings will make the front end a bit vague and could be dangerous. To check (if you already know how to do this then shoot me! LOL!) grasp both fork legs and try to rock the them backwards and forwards as you face the front end. Any slackness should be easily noticeable and if there is any, it is fairly easy to adjust out. Let us know if this is the case and if you don't know how to adjust the steering head bearings? F34Me?'s advice is good by the way!

Originally Posted by dveldtf4i
So I'm having a hell of a time here. I'm broke, so there's definitely no buying a front stand. I don't have rafters, so I can't lift the bike from there. I need to change my fork seals today, because my front end is just getting too sloppy to be comfortable with.

I need to know if I can comfortably place jack stands under this point on both sides of the bike (not sure what it is, engine mounts maybe?)

And Yes I know this engine is filthy, haven't had a chance to clean it up yet since I got it.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:58 AM

One seal has been leaking for about a month. Looks like it'll he stable with the rear up on stand I just wanted to make sure it would be a strong enough point to use. All I have is a bottle jack so that's a no go.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It'll be strong enough but I'd worry about slipping off. Do the lift under the very front(of the bottom of the engine). If you do it there, combined with a rear stand, you should be alright. Check the how-to section for a couple of good directions on re-building the front tubes, too.

Ern

Old 07-17-2011, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
It'll be strong enough but I'd worry about slipping off. Do the lift under the very front(of the bottom of the engine). If you do it there, combined with a rear stand, you should be alright. Check the how-to section for a couple of good directions on re-building the front tubes, too.

Ern
Under the header pipes or remove the header pipes? I've been reading about bent headers and exhaust leaks lifting there.

Took another look and there's no way to get the jack stands in far enough without possible slip. Might just take it to my moms house next weekend and use her rafters. One more reason to hate apartment living.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:49 PM

I have done is a few times on the F4i with no problems at all, a few slight scratches maybe.