General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If fork preload wrong,canit cause tankslap??

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 12:19 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If fork preload wrong,canit cause tankslap??

Buddy adjusted mine(was at line 3, now its on 1) and now im getting some, slight but scary(goin around 100mph), front wheel wobble in first gear under hard acceleration around redline. Anybody know??

Old 09-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Changes to suspension, geometry, or anything that affects those can contribute to that. The first thing I'd do is adjust it back and see if it goes away. Arbitrarily adjusting the any of your suspension components is not a good idea. Those adjustments are there to be able to "tune" the bike to the rider. Whats good for one rider is not necessarily good for another. Do a video search on suspension adjustments. There are some excellent vid's out there that can help you adjust your bike correctly.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your basically taking pressure off your front tire. Your front wheel will not react as fast to changes in the road or drop away dips in the road. Your steering may become lighter, and that may be all your feeling is the front end is not light, which can allow the front to wobble, where before with the higher pressure on the front, it couldn't.

Of course, it really shouldn't be wobbling at all. The adjustment itself should not cause wobbling. It can hide the wobble, which I think with the higher pressure it had before, it was doing. I would check to make sure your tire is not cupped or worn down with any odd patterns. Make sure there are not bulges in the tire, and make sure your running the correct tire pressure for your weight. An out of ballanced tire can also cause the issues your describing.

Also, I would check the steering bearings. If they become loose or worn, it can cause some issues. I really think the adjusment just revealed an existing condition, not creating one.

Having said this, what your describing is not a tankslap. A tank slap is a violent, full swing back and forth motion of the handlebars. I understand your concerned with the wobble, and in the right condition, a wobble could potentially put you front wheel out of alignment and cause a tank slapper, so you are correct in being concerned with it.

And I agree with IDoDirt, what works for one person does not work for the other, especially on the street. Do some research and see how the suspensions system works and change what you don't like about the bike, not what someone else has theirs adjusted too.

good luck.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great feedback guys, should help. Gonna try to adjust back to what it was, see if it stops. And check the bearings too. Let you know if it ceases. If it doesnt, throw a new tire on tomorrow and see if that works.