General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

idle problems after valve clearance check

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 01:43 PM
Avi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle problems after valve clearance check

Hi guys,
I have just finished performing a valve clearance check on my cbr600f4. along with that I replaced the CCTL to a manual one, and programmed a new key to the HISS system (a european imobilizer system).

the problem is that the idle is about 600 rpm and the engine can barely hold it while hot, as opposed to 1300 rpm before.
cold with chkek on it's 1000 rpm with full choke, opposed to 2000 rpm on HALF choke. without choke it won't start at all.

during the valves check everything checked out fine.
I checked the CCTL by letting it run with it a little loose untill it started ticking, so it isn't too tight

The key programming shouldn't change anything, but it was done and so I mention it, all that was done to the bike ,other then turning the switch on and off and connecting to the battery, was I disconnected the ignition pulse generator switch. I believe this is irrelevant.

on the way the airbox was removed and reinstalled, the carbs, all the air ducting below the airbox and the valves cover and plugs.

nay good ideas about the problem?
I think all the plugs and all cylinders are working. put an oil drop on each exhaust pipe and they all evaporated.
could the idle screw rotate without me touching it?
I am quite certain the carbs and airbox are seated right (the second time...).

any ideas?

thanks
avi

Old 04-13-2012, 04:38 PM

Is it possible you inadvertently turned the idle screw while you had the carbs out?

Old 04-13-2012, 05:59 PM
Avi

Originally Posted by orangef3
Is it possible you inadvertently turned the idle screw while you had the carbs out?
not by hand. then again, maybe by picking up and putting down the carbs? is this possible?
doesn't seem to turn to easily, otherwise it will rotate while the motor is running from the vibrations..

I am certain it has nothing to do with the valves....
does the pair system and all these under the airbox has something that will act up like that?

Old 04-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

If you removed the carburetors and put them back, then yes it's possible that the idle screw got turned without you knowing it. Just go ahead and turn the idle up, paying attention to how much you're turning it as a reference. Having it set low would affect the choke idle as well. Since all you did was check the valve clearances and didn't replace anything there, it wouldn't have had any affect.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:03 PM
Avi

Hey, thanks guys.
I'll try to get this checked out tonight.