General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hate fedex....

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 02:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate fedex....

I bought a used motor for my f2 from a guy on this site. Needless to say I received it yesterday. I went to install it today and found some metal in the packaging. I dig around and notice the thermostat hosuing was busted. No big deal....

Well I go to install the motor and I notice oil dripping. They managed to crack my oil pan to.

I really hope I don't have any hair-line fractures in the block. I have an extra thermo housing and oil pan.

Can I just use RTV to seal them instead of gaskets? I'm hoping to get the bike running tomorrow and it will take at least 3-4 days for the local honda shop to get the gaskets.

I really hope the motor runs. Looks like it took a nice spill on the stator side. Hopefully it didn't hurt it internally.

Old 10-15-2006, 08:00 AM
Default RE: I hate fedex....

what, did it just come in a box?

The guy didnt put it in a wooden crate or anything? Just throw a motor
in a cardboard box with some peanuts and fed-ex'd it?

maybe I'm missing something, but what did you guys expect?

Old 10-15-2006, 05:32 PM

Why dont you file a claim>

Old 10-15-2006, 05:33 PM

I obviously had nothing to do with the packaging. It was sort of on a pallet but had no real protection. Still it had to have been beat on pretty hard for it to crack the pan and housing.

It was insured so maybe I can get some cash out of the deal.

Old 10-15-2006, 05:34 PM

Can I still file a claim after having the motor out of the packaging and everything?

I am going to file the claim monday whenever I can actually get ahold of the local fedex place.

Old 10-15-2006, 05:41 PM

Yeah, because You cant see the motor through the packing. Just take pictures of it befor you fix anything and pictures of it in the packing (put it back in if you have too) and bring them the pictures with the oil on the packing and whatever. HEy, its worth a try!!!

Old 10-15-2006, 05:51 PM

I work at a warehouse that distributes automotive parts for Isuzu and some GM, and let me tell ya when people load them trucks it is literally thrown in. They put heavy stuff on top of lighter stuff, that defiantly should have been in a crate, with wood around the outside, I would file a claim, but I think they could deny it because of bad packaging. you will defiantly need to put it back in the box and take some pictures....if it wasn't much damage I wouldn't even mess with it, because it was just bad packaging

and about the RTV, it can be good, or it can suck.....you have to make sure you have no bubbles when putting that on or it will leak. My formula I replaced the intake gasket 3 times before it finally stooped leaking, and now it just started back up. I personally hate that stuff and would much rather use a gasket.

Old 10-15-2006, 08:02 PM

dont know about the packaging but rtv will last a while, if you just wanna get it back together and ride it till you get the gaskets i would say the rtv would hold up, but change it out when you get the gaskets.

Old 10-15-2006, 10:58 PM

When I remove all the bolts around the bottom of the pan will anything else come out? Or just the very bottom of the pan?

Also does anyone have any idea how much the gaskets will cost? I need a stator (this one is scratched bad from a wreck), thermo, and oil pan gasket.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:03 PM

Well I got everything together today. Almost ready to start it up.

When I removed the pan from the original motor I found a half dollar sized piece of metal. Looks like a piston skirt possibly. Lots and lots of metal shaving also.

Took the pan off the motor I just got and its spotless. Made me feel better.