General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am a gold-plated dufus

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am a gold-plated dufus

Actually, dumber than a post would be more accurate. *sigh* Always, always, read the directions twice before attempting something for the first time.

I got a brand new, greased to the hilt, gold colored EK chain--and it's just super, which is why this hurts so much--and I eye-balled the number of links...yes, you can see where this is going. [&o] I also got a heavy duty RK cut/press/rivet tool which is also the biz, and it didn't even break a sweat pushing out the (wrong) pin on a 530 weight, 9300lb tensile strength chain.

So I'm one link short and decide to at least press the master link onto one end and just get another ML for the opposite end. Well, you guessed it, the dumb took over and I put it on backwards. So, now it's either-- a) new chain at about $120 (MVXZ Quadra X-Ring, woot!) or b) see if two master links will be mechanically safe.

I'd like to try b) first but if anyone knows a guy who knows a guy that did this same thing--since no one on this forum is as HUA as me (that's Head Up ***, BTW). Any advice or reassurance or even flames would be appreciated.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:09 PM
Default RE: I am a gold-plated dufus

FLAME!!!! YOU IDIOT[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]
hope that satisfies your flame need lol
good luck

Old 04-12-2008, 03:55 PM
Banned

I am completely guessing here, but two master links should be OK. The only downside I can see is if the failure rates of a master link are higher than a regular link, then you simply have double the likely failure rate.

On the upside, you will have practice after the first master link to see how to do the second master link, if by chance they are different then you can make a judgement call on whether to do either again.

But please don't take my word for it, I can be an idiot when it comes to things with moving parts. In other words, ignore this post.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:05 PM

look at it this way, if one master link holds 9300lbs, then another one will too. I've heard of and seendouble ML's before. I'd do it and not think about it twice.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Scrufdog

look at it this way, if one master link holds 9300lbs, then another one will too. I've heard of and seendouble ML's before. I'd do it and not think about it twice.
+1.

youll have to cut another inner link out to connect them, but itll work perfect.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:46 AM

Had 2 ML on my last bike. rode it for 3 months b4 i sold it and had no problems. Burnouts, Power wheelies etc. I wouldnt worry about it too much