General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

honda oil with moly

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 03:53 AM
Retired Administrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: honda oil with moly

What I have posted in the past is what I've put together from research. Cars and bikes are different. Synthetics for autos are great because the engine and transmission are separate. Bikes use the engine oil as the lubricant so what ever you use will have a dual purpose. From what I've put together... if you use synthetic oils it will wear your clutch faster to some degree, how fast... never was clear. But, most of us here change our oil well ahead of schedule so I don't really see the advantage of paying $8 for synthetic HP4 vs $3 for GN4. The only fact that everyone agrees on is never use any energy conserving oils. The rest is really a matter of opinion. I'm not an oilologist... I always read and do a lot of research before I do anything and in my reasoning... I use GN4 w/o moly.

Old 01-08-2006, 10:14 AM

Just to complicte even more, synthetics also reduce wear in other parts of the engine. Like Piston rings, and help reduce blow by.

Old 01-08-2006, 11:44 AM

I was told bye my mick that- if you use syn you will allso here more pinging so they dont use it at all and he said the same thing about the clutch if you use mobil 1 dont use the red cap use the yellow cap he said

Old 01-08-2006, 03:30 PM

Pinging? you mean pinking or what?

Old 01-08-2006, 04:43 PM

The manufacturer states not to use the stuf with moly for a reason...Its all over the owners and also the service manual. If you are refering to 2-stroke dirt bikes, the only purpose for the crankcase oil is transmission and i know the Honda CR line recommends a synth 80/90w gear oil.

I use the HP4 without moly along with the Honda Filter @ (+/-) 1500/2000m intervals

But then again, im sure the manual says somewhere not to exceede the posted speed limits, ride wheelies, or do burn-outs too.....[sm=guilty.gif]

Old 01-08-2006, 07:26 PM

well i think you guys should try shell rotella-t syn buy it at wallmart for like 16 bucks a gallon. its made for big trucks .if you go to there webb site you will see they say its good for bikes. I can tell you from using it in my bike i saw a good difference.very smooth.get your pure one filter at bimart for 4.50 and your set. change every 1500 and your still way ahead.

Old 01-09-2006, 01:08 AM

Some people say cucumbers taste better pickled. ????? Just put some freeking oil in your bike and ride the thing. It isnt going to matter. Them oil companies have you on their tight little chain making u think there product is better than the next. Remember when they said you can't fill a R-12 system with R-134 because they are way different. Come to find out they are just different fittings. Okay that had nothing to do with oil but what the hell.

Old 01-09-2006, 03:24 AM

i know what you are saying but there is a way difference in oils. if you don't believe it run a few different kinds of brands in you bike or car and when you pull the oil out look in the bottom of the oil pan you just drained the oil into and compare the little metal particles, and wonder why there are more particles in some pans.