General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

honda oil with moly

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default honda oil with moly

I changed the oil and filter the other day. I was reading about the oils with moly additives and
the possibility that the clutch could start slipping... Anyway I went to a dealer and insisted on giving me
the HP4M (that is with moly) to ease the 'click' when I switch to 1st gear.
Tried that oil and did not experience any slip on the clutch. Also, I didnt notice any
difference in the transmittion as well [sm=itsok.gif]

Old 11-30-2005, 10:58 AM
Default RE: honda oil with moly

There are a lot of different opinions on this subject.
Sport rider magazine says full synthetic will not cause cluch slipage and moly may have an effect but is not likely the only cause if there is a problem.

Do a serch through the forums for topics about oil and you will find some posts

Old 11-30-2005, 12:01 PM
Retired Administrator

Synthetics/moly doesn’t cause clutch slippage... it wears out your clutches faster. The owner’s manual even states not to use it.

Old 11-30-2005, 12:45 PM

wouldnt that mean it is slipping don? I mean... it wears out when it slips... just whats happening I think is that it slips in small enough amounts you cant really tell... like a hard launch from a busa you can feel like you are getting a full hookup but in all actuality, the clutch is slipping, no matter how small.

right? :S

Old 11-30-2005, 05:18 PM
Retired Administrator

right... what I was trying to say (obviously not the well since you had to clarify) ... is what you said. jimmy_gr said he didn't notice any slippage. I was pointing out that you shouldn't notice any, it's not enough to notice, but slippage over time that it shortens the life of your clutch.

Old 11-30-2005, 05:20 PM

ahhhh, gotcha. thats what I was thinkin you were saying, cause i know your smarter than that... but, eh, we all have our off days :P

take it easy

Old 11-30-2005, 09:38 PM

HP4 detoriates fast

Old 11-30-2005, 10:10 PM

I run synthetic oil in my bike and have no trouble and I ride the crap out of it a lot. To tell you the truth I don't see how a clutch would ever wear out on a sport bike unless you clutch it to wheelie every 2 seconds. On my motocross bike which has the same type clutch... I ride the whole season and not wear the clutch out. That is a ton of riding and always on the clutch .... slipping it and beating the crap out of it every second. Every turn I keep it in second and slip the clutch through the corner bouncing off the rev limiter. You never have to slip the clutch on a sport bike, only taking off.

Old 01-08-2006, 12:20 AM

Sorry to hijack here... I've just seen so many different opinions on this. Does anyone have firsthand experience using non-motorcycle-specific oil, (Mobil1, Syntec, even conventional oils), in their bikes? I know I've read about people that have used this, but I'd like some experience-related input from CBR riders. Thanks!

Old 01-08-2006, 02:45 AM

i've always heard not to run synthetic oil in a bike unless it came with synthetic cause it will wear out the clutches as stated by Don as for your dirt bike i believe they do come with synthetic and i think they run a different type of clutch something with more metal in it and not so much of the organic material like steet bikes, does that sound right Don?

Quick Reply: honda oil with moly