General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High RPM problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 09:39 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Umm...that airbox lid doesn't look stock.

To see if those extra holes are the main problem you could seal them with duct tape and see if the problem goes away. Then go somewhere such as Honda East Toledo and buy a replacement lid. They sell them for around $102.

Anyway, I'd recommend doing a basic tune-up. Maybe run some Lucas fuel system treatment through it (pay attention to the recommended mixture ratio), make sure any vacuum lines are not loose or damaged and things like that.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a strange thing to do to an airbox... I agree plug the holes see if it helps. Ebay is always a good place to find used parts cheap.

Hope this solves your problem

Old 08-09-2013, 07:18 AM

We did plug the holes, but that did not change the idle at all. I think the next thing we're going to do is to take the carb out and clean/sync it but that is going to have to wait until the weekend. We can try the fuel system cleaner, how long do we need to keep her running for it to start working?

Old 08-09-2013, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Cori
We can try the fuel system cleaner, how long do we need to keep her running for it to start working?
I just add the appropriate amount after I fill up and ride it until the reserve fuel light comes on.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cori
We did plug the holes, but that did not change the idle at all. I think the next thing we're going to do is to take the carb out and clean/sync it but that is going to have to wait until the weekend. We can try the fuel system cleaner, how long do we need to keep her running for it to start working?
I would also like to add again that checking the plug color will really help in finding what the problem is..

Old 08-09-2013, 01:32 PM

Thanks for the help!!

I was unable to get my spark plug socket to actually attach onto the plug itself. I don't know why but it wouldn't.

We gave up and took it to the shop today for diagnostics. On the drive there it was crazy! Kind of like a possessed bike. When I would down shift back into first the rpm's would shoot up to 7000 just sitting stopped at a light! Then takeoff was nuts!! I thought it was going to get away from me. While sitting at a light I realized that if I let the clutch out to just before it started creeping up (with brake applied) that the rpm's would drop down to around 2000. So I did that the rest of the way to the shop when possible, but needless to say I will NOT be driving that home! I will update here if/when the shop guy let's me know what's going on. We're only able to pay for an hour of diagnostics right now so I don't know if we will even get an answer, but it's the best option we had for today. I really feel like it has something to do with the throttle in some way, it just sounds like you're driving it/idling it with the gas full on. Once up in third gear and above there were no signs of anything aside from the rpm's staying around 7000. I drove it 8 miles to the shop today and was able to time out the lights so I only hit two red lights.

I can't wait til she's all better, she is such a fun ride!!

Old 08-09-2013, 02:13 PM

The shop called!!

He had to adjust the carburetors. A $50 fix that I didn't have to do, not too bad. On a side note, I have a feeling this winter we will be learning A LOT about how to work on bikes, especially the carburetors.

I am so excited to get her back on the road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-09-2013, 02:18 PM

Wow, I wouldn't have thought that carbs being out of adjustment would cause the rpms to jump around like you described. It's been over 20 years since I had a bike with carbs and I used to like getting in there and balancing them with my little mercury filled tube gauge.

Glad it wasn't anything too expensive to fix. Enjoy riding this weekend.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:23 PM

I already told the hubs that our next bike I would prefer to be fuel injected! I've never even worked on a car that had carbs so I was completely lost on that!

The weather for the weekend appears to be perfect for riding!

I am one happy girl right now!