General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High RPM problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 07:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy High RPM problems

I need help guys!

My husband mentioned the bike has been acting up the last couple rides so I took her out for a spin. He was saying it was up around 10000 rpm on the highway so he didn't take the highway home. The idea was for me to go to the store and back, 2.5 miles one way. I got down the road about a half mile and got the bike up to 45 mph in top gear going between 7000 and 8000 rpm. I turned around and came back home immediately. Upon arrival home she was giving me a hard time in first, she wanted to go faster than she should have been in first so much that I had trouble parking her in a spot I've parked her many times before. I ended up parking her on the sidewalk instead of behind one of our vehicles in the driveway. I don't know if this is something one of you guys can help me with or not. We're not sure where to even begin on this one.

We had a vehicle like this once, she kept accelerating without pushing the gas, so much that we were burning out when taking our foot off the break, ended up having to change the throttle body because a metal weight had fallen off. Not sure what that translates to on a motorcycle, or if it's even something similar to that.

I just want to ride her!!!!

Thanks!!

Old 08-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would help if we knew what model you have. Does it have carbs or fuel injection?

Also, is it possible that the throttle cables are sticking? Have they been lubed in the last few years?

Old 08-07-2013, 10:58 AM

Sorry, my bad. It's a 1990 cbr600 f1 with a carburetor. We recently purchased less than a month ago. Don't know much about previous care aside from it was not taken care of as well as we would have taken care of it. I will check the throttle cables when the hubs gets home.
Thanks!

Old 08-07-2013, 02:14 PM

So I have removed everything to the lower housing for the air filter. But one bolt for that is stripped, found it that way... hoping that drilling it out will work. But when I peek under the housing I can see the choke cables working fine, and the throttle working what appears to be fine, but the cable itself appears to have some slack in it. I can wiggle the handle a bit before it moves the throttle. Is that normal or should it be tighter like I feel it should be. And if it having slack is incorrect, would that be enough to cause it to do what I described above?

Thanks for the help!

Old 08-07-2013, 09:16 PM

Does the bike feel very under powered? taking the plugs out to see if they are a sooty black, you have an problem with the air intake. if the plugs are a white color you are not getting enough fuel.

Does the bike idle normal? does it start normal?

Old 08-08-2013, 06:58 AM

I'm not sure about it feeling underpowered, I want to say no. It's more that it sounds like I should be going a lot faster than I am.

The idle is high around 5000-6000 rpm, its loud as soon as she starts up. She has no problem starting.

I will check the plugs as soon as I get her apart again. We're working outside so we had to put her back together yesterday after we tried cleaning the throttle cables and the choke cables as well as adjusting a screw with a spring on it on the throttle, but that wasn't the problem.

I'm hoping by starting early this morning I will be able to get to the bottom of this today.

Thanks for the help!

Old 08-08-2013, 08:44 AM

It's not just idling high?

Old 08-08-2013, 09:01 AM

She is definitely idling high, but she also pulls in first more than she should.

I am working on the spark plugs, but my socket just doesn't want to attach itself to the plug. It's a 5/8 socket in good shape, idk what I'm doing wrong.

After the spark plugs I am hoping to pull the carb and see if I can find the idle control bolt.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:51 AM

Update: I found the idle control **** and it definitely is not that, its set out and if I tighten it any the rpm's go even higher. I did put her back together to check this since I am stuck on the spark plugs for now and the top of the carb has one screw that is almost stripped so I need the husband's help with that otherwise I will ruin the screw and really be screwed... I am thinking that the carb needs to be cleaned at this point. The previous owner said they did that but I am wondering if they did not sync it correctly or something. I am not sure. Eventually I will give up and take it up to the shop and see what they say, but if we have to do that it might be spring since that's not in the budget right now.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:34 PM

Just realized that the air filter housing isn't suppose to have a bunch of holes drilled into it... Could this be what is affecting my rpm's? I will try and attach a picture. And NO I don't have any idea why there is masking tape on it either...

IF this is the problem, is there any solution besides just replacing the housing?

Thanks for the help!

Name:  IMG-20130808-00114_zps331002e3.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  130.3 KB

Quick Reply: High RPM problems