General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High mileage maintnence

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 07:20 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High mileage maintnence

I have a 97 f3, its got 45000 miles on it, and it hesitates a lil at idle, ive noticed its starting to kinda pull harder and softer when climbing the rpm's, ive had it for the last 16k miles, so im assuming i need to do three things, Valve job, clean the carbs, and sync them, anythoughts on this? Where can i get a good carb sync tool from? Is this one any good?
Ebay style, cheap, is it effective?
or maybe this one
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/...synchromate_2/
(there's an adapter so it will work on 4 carbs)
i would venture a guess the first one might work, while the second one's gunna be a lot better, or if anyone know's where i can get a better one im open for critisizm
A few times when i clutched it up, it missed about half way up, was that the carb's acting up? Is this the kinda work with half a brain a book and proper tools i could do myself? I know how sensetive the carb's can be, but im decently mechanical, and ive read up on everything except the cleaning of the carb's cuz the clymer manual show's me how to rebuild them but not clean, or is that the same thing? Ive got an entire spare bike to guinie pig my work on, so i can practice on that. Thanks ahead of time for any advice, it'll be much appreciated.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: High mileage maintnence

I currently have a mercury stick sync, which is tough to beat for precision....it's 12 years old and they are highly discourages for their use of mercury.Gauges have manufacturing variations that keep you from getting them "perfect"....and I feel you have to "read"...a mercury stick is visual. Regardless, you willdo a better job with anythingthan what a shop would do...a shop will just barely get it in theOEM range, whichis pretty wide. If I made the purchase today this is the sync I'd buy, in fact I might dump my mercury stick as its time for new mercury and get one.

http://www.carbtune.com/

You are right on...valve adjustment (not a valve job, which is machining/grinding of the valves and seats). Clean carbs, new fuel filter and plugs. I would also clean the screen on the inlet tube to the petcock.

If you clean the carbs yourself, just go through them one at a time, removing each jet and sprayign the passages and jets themselves out with carb cleaner....a manual will be a great help.

Good luck....that motor will be rady for another 45K after you're done.