General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP ME GOD...f3 breaks up randomly

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP ME GOD...f3 breaks up randomly

I recently aquired a 1995 CBR600 which was converted to a streetfighter...On my first ride the bike bogged out like it was out of fuel...I took tank of thinking maybe a line was kinked only to find the air filter was completely clogged...On the second ride randomly the bike will break up...I can pull out and run through all gears with no problem, until I try to twist throttle it breaks up, mainly on highway speeds...If I get on it will run great up til 3rd gear (heavy throttle)...then same thing breaks up...I took apart all carbs and cleaned, I also replaced all plugs...Is there a test for coils? I ohmed out wires and they are all fine...

I was told the bike ran great until it was put in a barn a yr ago...i dont see any damaged wires...but im going nuts...any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 03-13-2012, 09:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick question: when it was converted to a fighter, are the original gauges a part and working?

Old 03-14-2012, 06:28 AM

No all gauges were taken off...the guy has the harness taped off and installed a veypor...could the original harness be touching together causing break up?

Old 03-15-2012, 04:08 PM

I think Kuro was going down the path that the F3 had an air solenoid valve that was part of the air intake system that was controlled by the dash cluster. I'm betting there's something that needs to be done in the stock harness to bypass or control.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:16 PM

Ya i argee better research that stock harness.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:11 PM

That or the next question:
When turned into fighter, was the ram duct removed?

The ram duct is required for the F3 to run properly and it has to be functioning. No duct, flat spots

Old 03-16-2012, 07:08 AM

They're so annoyed raises the question... I did trace the harness to find it connected and just laying on the motor...im sure thats not good...the stock induction is gone.. just the air filter box and a k and n filter...but still has factory breathers on carbs...

I really appreciate the thoughts guys and have another question... how do the carbs work on the bikes...mine pulses at different speeds constantly...is this normal?? Again thanks for help

Old 03-18-2012, 01:56 PM

I must have been drunk when i posted that because it makes 0 sense...what i meant was the air solenoid valve was connected to the harness but just laying ontop of the motor...is that supposed to be attatched to air induction??? Also I was wondering how the fuel pump works...mine pulses at different speeds...Like I said I dont know alot about bikes but it just seems like a fuel issue that i have...

Sorry for previous gibberish!

Old 03-18-2012, 02:43 PM

The fuel pump on the F3 works 'on demand. It doesn't constantly run, only providing forced fuel when the floats are empty. At higher speeds, it works harder as the engine sucks fuel down faster.

On the F3, the air solenoid is connected to both the low speed intakes and the ram duct. Below 12-15 MPH, it closes off the ram duct and uses the small intakes to provide air to the carbs. Above that, and this is where I suspect you're having problems, it closes off the small intakes and uses the ram duct. It is connected to the speedometer to tell when to switch intakes.

Without air from the ram duct, it is impossible to diag any performance issues. The F3 engine NEEDs direct induction air from the duct else she drowns in fuel. You'll need the ram duct connected to the carbs and at least the solenoid bypassed to go further into what's wrong... if anything beyond missing dia.