'09 cbr breaks

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 06:27 PM
:::
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '09 cbr breaks

I have been looking into getting a new bike and the new cbr600 with abs really caught my eye (mostly because my dad said he wouldn't buy me another bike unless it had anti-lock brakes). I think it is an amazing bike, the only thing that bothers me is the cbs system that it has in it. Is there really no hard lines going to the brakes and its all computer controlled? If so, how safe is that and what are the precations incase something fails?

Edit: sorry about the spelling error in the title

Last edited by :::; 03-29-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:01 PM

You said he won’t buy you another unless it has ABS. Did you have a bike and wreck it or had an issue with breaking?? I have read a few reviews in regards to the 09. The ABS is amazing and works well especially on wet roads. I don’t like riding in the rain so I wouldn’t spend the extra money for it. Just my 2 cents

Old 03-29-2009, 09:11 PM
:::

No, no accidents involved with braking issues. I still have my first bike, it's just my father thinks abs is very important safety feature and just wants me to be safe. Being a 16 year old kid with a sportbike, the only thing i can really do is abide what he pleases. The only thing that keeps me skeptical is that its a computer that controls braking and that there is no mechanical link between the brakes and the controls, not only in the aspect of abs but in normal braking. That is what confuses me, is that this cbs system is all electronical, what if something goes wrong? Am i suposed to put my life in the hands of a computer that could go wrong at any time?

Old 03-29-2009, 11:10 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

You can disable the abs and it goes into fail safe normal braking mode. Its a honda so yes trust it.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:42 AM

in honda we trust. nuff said =)

Old 03-30-2009, 06:39 AM

I think you have some mis-information. there is a hard line going to the brakes. Like already said, if any of the piramiters go out of spec, the system shuts off and you have normal braking.

Your fears are not unlike many other people when automobiles first went to anti-lock brakes. But look at how many cars now have them without problems. Im not really convinced its worth $1000 and 20 something pounds more than one without anti-lock brakes though.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:14 AM

If your dads paying take what you can get

Old 03-30-2009, 03:32 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
You can disable the abs and it goes into fail safe normal braking mode. Its a honda so yes trust it.
good luck and ride safe I know I'd never buy my 16 year old anything but a dirt bike! Be careful and respect it!

Old 03-30-2009, 06:16 PM

If I had a 16 year old, I wouldn't be buying him a motorcycle. If i was 16 and my dad was offering to buy me a brand new sport bike, electronic ABS would be the last thing on my mind. I've read reviews and seen video's of the pro riders testing the new ABS and they loved it, including the skeptics (I even saw a guy doing stoppies).

Old 04-04-2009, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by :::
No, no accidents involved with braking issues. I still have my first bike, it's just my father thinks abs is very important safety feature and just wants me to be safe. Being a 16 year old kid with a sportbike, the only thing i can really do is abide what he pleases. The only thing that keeps me skeptical is that its a computer that controls braking and that there is no mechanical link between the brakes and the controls, not only in the aspect of abs but in normal braking. That is what confuses me, is that this cbs system is all electronical, what if something goes wrong? Am i suposed to put my life in the hands of a computer that could go wrong at any time?
i dont think you understand how a abs system works...for that matter not alot of ppl do, a system with no mechanical linkage or connections to the braking system itself is a far superior way then the older hard line and actuator/accumulator system. The reason for that is with mechanical linkage there is always a margin for error, with full electronics there is nothin that can go wrong(well if it was american yea it could f*** up but its a honda system so NO) the abs computer is a solid state unit which means there is nothing to wear out over time there is nothing to get bumped and fall off there is nothing to go wrong. ok now come on critics tell me something i dont know? or i got mixed up?

Quick Reply: '09 cbr breaks