General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

having some cooling issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 11:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default having some cooling issues

ok the bike is back to gether after a long winter and an upper end job...but i am having some issues and if any one has seen any thing like this please let me know what you did to fix it.. i run the bike up to temp than after i shut it off it flows colant out of the reserve then after it cools down it sucks the reserve dry..it will do this twice that the third time i ride with in 5 miles it is over heating and needs more coolant..any one have any ideas

Old 05-09-2006, 01:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: having some cooling issues

what do you mean it is overheating and needs coolant? is the temp guage showing super high and coolant boiling and spewing out?

when the cooling system gets hot, the coolant mix expands so it goes into the overflow.
there should always be coolant in the overflow though.

please provide more detail, as in how is it overheating..., etc.

Old 05-09-2006, 04:16 PM

Tahoe's right, we need more info. Is there any sign of leakage? Any steam coming from the exhaust (aside from normal cold engine on a cold morning stuff)? One idea might be that when you had the upper end work done, you lost a lot of coolant and the system is still filling up, or you could have air trapped somewhere in the coolant system.

Old 05-10-2006, 06:04 PM

ok i will bring the bike up to temp park it and shut it down then the reseve will fill up and over flowafter it over flows and starts to cool it will draw all the coolant back in the the system leaving the reseve emptie. this will happen two times in a row the third time the system over heats and over flows wile the bike is running after it cools down the reseve is emptie. i will start it after that and add more to the reseve wile it is running it will come close to over flowing or it will over flow then it will pull all the coolant back in to the system..then it will run ok until i get to my next stop..then it over flows again..there is no colan leak in the system except when it over flows the reseve...does that give a more clear picture if not let me know and i will try to give more detail

Old 05-11-2006, 06:34 PM

Hmmm, your last post paints a much more vivid picture, still not sure why it would do that though unless the thermostat is stuck closed and isn't allowing the coolant to circulate. Hopefully someone smarter than I am will have a better idea. I'll keep looking and let you know if I come across any enlightenment.

Old 05-11-2006, 07:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

flush your cooling with distilled water and make sure you get all the bubbles out. sounds like you got air bubbles or blockage in the system or the t-stat is not opening up because of an air bubble. another factor is that the radiator cap isn't properly sealing. check the bubbles first.

Old 05-11-2006, 08:19 PM

I vote air.[sm=yeahsmile.gif]