General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having a carb issue! Tech support needed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Having a carb issue! Tech support needed!

I'm having a issue with my 99 F4. During the initial startup, it will crank but die out within seconds of startup. Before starting, I put on the choke & make sure that the gas switch is on also. Once I press the ignition switch, it will fire up. During this, I have to give throttle to keep it started, but then it eventually dies. If someone who has been thru this dilemma, or who is mechanically inclined, please quote on this issue please.

Maybe helpful, or fix the issue!!

Old 03-25-2013, 12:44 PM

Sounds like they might need cleaned, dose it run if you give it gas is the bike still rideable?

Old 03-25-2013, 01:01 PM
Default Have a Carb Issue

Originally Posted by cookml22
Sounds like they might need cleaned, dose it run if you give it gas is the bike still rideable?
No, its not rideable, puzzling, once it dies, I can hear bubbling noises coming from the carbs. The carbs have been cleaned and synced.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:09 PM
Senior Member and ROTM March 2014

Originally Posted by katt72
No, its not rideable, puzzling, once it dies, I can hear bubbling noises coming from the carbs. The carbs have been cleaned and synced.
It sounds like an idle circuit is plugged somewhere, or re-assembly was done in error. Who rebuilt your carbs?

Bubbling noises... Hmmmmm.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

If the carburetors were cleaned and sync'd last fall, and your're just starting the first time for this season, then it's possible they're clogged again. When were they cleaned ? To sync the carburetors, naturally the bike has to be running. When was that ?

Old 03-30-2013, 09:17 AM
Default Have a Carb Issue

Originally Posted by FOGeologist
It sounds like an idle circuit is plugged somewhere, or re-assembly was done in error. Who rebuilt your carbs?

Bubbling noises... Hmmmmm.
When you speak of a idle circuit, where would that be located? FOG, could you give me in depth about the idle circuit, it would be appreciated.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:24 AM
Angry Have a Carb Issue

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
If the carburetors were cleaned and sync'd last fall, and your're just starting the first time for this season, then it's possible they're clogged again. When were they cleaned ? To sync the carburetors, naturally the bike has to be running. When was that ?
IDD, the person who claimed to clean and sync my carbs, is no longer working on my bike. The same thing you mentioned is the same reason he's not my mechanic anymore. It seems i may have to send to a Honda dealer to fix n repair my problem. If you know how it can be done without outside assistance, please advise with more info.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:34 PM

If you're up to the task of doing it yourself I'd say go for it. I have an F4 too and I learned slowly how to do it myself and I'm happy I did.

Here's a good how to: https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mecha...r-carbs-40713/

and a diagram of everything with labels: http://www.hdforums.com/forum/attach...eihin_carb.jpg

Get some good carb cleaner and go to town. Or take it to the shop if you're not comfortable with doing it. Either way you need your carbs cleaned.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:37 PM

I have first hand experiance of the the burble / or hissing sound when the engine dies.

One of your float needles has stuck or has crap stuck in it.

The burble/hiss sound is neat fuel comming out of the main jet and depositing itself on the back of the now hot valves !!!

I would not have beleived it until I saw it myself ( we were trying to start the bike with the top of the airbox off to see if we could see fuel. )

Once the float needles had been cleaned - and we made sure the idle jets were the correct size & clean - she fired up and ran like a dream.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:37 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carbs are pretty easy to clean yourself. As long as you aren't totally ham fisted you can do it. Hardest part of the job imo is de-attaching/attaching the throttle cables. Do some googling and youtubing on cleaning carbs. There are tonnes of different designs but the principle is the same for all them.

Maybe another F4 owner here can advise, but is there a idle control **** for these?

Quick Reply: Having a carb issue! Tech support needed!