General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got laid down and wont start

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: got laid down and wont start

whats a few miles to the store, and what kinda of RPMs did you average?

what does it do when it doesnt start( other than not start) does it go click-click-click, do your lights go really dim, does your tack cycle, does your fuel pump spin up?

check your connection on your battery real good

Old 08-17-2008, 01:07 AM

I was going an avg of 65mph on the freeway and it was about 5 miles. When it doesnt start it makes a click click sound and the lights do go dim when i press the start button. The tack does cycle when i flipkey to on.I will double check the wiring on the battery and around it. thx for the advice.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:41 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fall might have jarred the battery to the point where it's staring to fail. My battery was defective from the factory. It would hold a charge, but out of no where it would just go flat. It did this for weeks, and the dealer was baffled because it kept passing all the battery tests, though it would go flat the second I got home after riding it 70 miles on the highway.

I would take it to the dealer and have them test the battery. If it passes, (which really doesn't mean s**t from my own experiences) have them test the charging system. They'll just test the charging output at a certain RPM. If that passes, then I would look into replacing the battery. Just because it passes their tests doesn't mean the battery isn't bad. My battery passed 2 different dealership tests multiple times, and it still ended up being a defective battery.

I was the one that found it out too. On the 07/08, the killswitch to the motor still allows you to crank it, it just wont start. So after I had the battery charged 100% from the dealer, I showed them that if I cranked it, after 15 cranks, it would kill the battery. They said that was normal. Then we went to one of their BRAND NEW 08's and we did the same thing. It cranked......and cranked and cranked without even hinting of loosing charge. After all that, they finally decided to replace the battery under warranty, and I haven't had a problem since.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:16 PM

ok to keep you guys updated....

today my bike started up but i noticed that when i do push start it or jump start it after it dies it will be able to start about 3 more times. After that it wont start at all. It doesnt matter if i drive it around or not. So today I went to jump start it again with my carbut this time it struggled to start it was slowllyy slowlly cranking over and then fired up. The first few times it started up easily now its struggling. So maybe thinkin my battery just givin up. My buddy says its could be the rectifier, but im not sure. I think i will try the battery first, do you guys agree?? or should i get a new rectifier first? appreciate teh feed back Thanks

Old 08-17-2008, 10:00 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt it's the rectifier. It sounds like the battery won't hold a proper charge like what was happening with mine.

But again, take it to a shop, have them test the charging system as to the repair manual specs. If it passes, then you know it's the battery, and then replace it.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:44 PM

ok i will get ittested.....if it is the battery failing do you guys knowa place online to buy a new battery? or should i stick to goin to the dealership?

Old 08-17-2008, 11:38 PM

The dealer will bend you over on a new battery. Buy it online. You canget a Yuasa a little over $100 shipped.

Also, make sure you verify that your charging system is working properly. My stator went bad this summer, but it was still putting out partial power when I replaced it. The energy it put out was enough to keep the bike going, but the battery gradually died over 3 or 4 days.

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

+1. Sounds like the most plausible explanation to why the battery would go flat.

And to get it going again after a fall, just key the bike completely off, then turn it back on when the bike is back up right. Then it'll fire right back up. Alarmingly, that's one of the things that went through my mind during my first crash as I was still sliding along the highway.
Hilarious. Yeah, it's amazing how your brain goes into hyper alert mode during a fall. During my first wreck, I was thinking about where to take my bike to get it fixed as I was still sliding in the grass. A bunch of other stuff slipped through my mind too, but it was mostly like "man, this really sucks!"

Old 08-25-2008, 07:11 PM

so its been a week and my bike is starting up fine now. I did not change the battery or had it charged over night. I was going to have the charging system inspected but before i did that I pulledout the battery looked at all the wires by the battery and disconnected them and reconnected them. then i took out all the fuses under the left fairing to check for any blown ones, but all was ok. I did find a fuse for the bank angle sensor which was fine. So im thinkin maybe by pullin out the fuse on the bank angle sensor it possibly resetted itself???? Idk but its running good now.

So after I put all together and gave it another quick jump from my wife's car it started up instantly. then i rode it around and turned it off and on again to check. Did it about 3 times and it all started fine without a hint of problem. So hopefully this solved my problem and I possibly saved myself from buying a new battery or parts. KNOCK on Wood!!! but thx for all your guys feedback and help!!