General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodridge Brake Lines SNAFU

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodridge Brake Lines SNAFU

I recently installed some Goodridge brake lines and thought I'd share the experience in the hope that I could save some others the pain in the *** experience I just went through. The lines themselves are great. However, the banjo bolts supplied with the kit are CRAP!!!! For one, the thread pattern for the front master cylinder bolt didn't match the master cyl on the bike, so I had to use the stock bolt.

Secondly, the instructions with the kit say to torque all banjos to the specs for the stock bolts, which in this case was 22 ft/lbs. So I firmly tighten the banjos on the caliper but I don't torque them yet. So I go through and finish bleeding both caliper of the front brake. I then go to torque the banjos to the specified torque setting and the left one snaps in half. So immediately all of the fluid pours out. I ended up using the stock banjos and had to bleed the left side again.

If anyone has ever had to bleed brakes you know how much it sucks. So you can imagine how thrilled I was to have to redo one side.

Overall stainless brake lines are a great upgrade. Bleeding brakes aren't that hard, it's just messy. If you plan to upgrade your brake lines with Goodridge lines I highly recommend tossing the supplied banjos and using your stock bolts. They'll work just fine.

Old 09-04-2006, 09:59 PM
Default RE: Goodridge Brake Lines SNAFU

Mine are at home waiting to be installed....

Old 09-05-2006, 07:06 AM

you ever considered switching the banjo fittings to -AN fittings? i've never tried so on brake lines but i know for a fact banjo fittings flow like crap.

Old 09-05-2006, 01:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the instructions shouldn't have specified to have the bolts torqued to stock settings, should be more like 12 ft-lbs or something much less as the new bolts are much softer than the old ones. my directions clearly told me NOT to torque to stock specs!!! even then i still had to because it kept leaking until i got to stock specs.