CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Brake Lines

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Lines

Hi everyone. Long time no post. So winter is here in Chitown, and I got the ITCH!!! Since i cant ride, its time to work on it. I'm sending my spare brake lines to Spielger to find out the cost of replacing with Stainless steel lines.

My question is has anybody else done this? and especially with LBS?
I am also probably replacing the rotors (fore/aft). Not sure with who though... Galfer has wave/petal floating rotors very nice but expensive..
kneedraggers.com has some rotors floating but they're round ...nice but not as nice.. but about $400.00 cheaper.

any thoughts?

Old 12-22-2006, 04:35 AM
Default RE: Brake Lines

I looked into this and HEL said they would custom make them for me if I sent them all the measurements.

If you take off the complete system and take it into a Enzed or similar Hydraylic Hose fitting shop then can fit lines.

Old 12-23-2006, 02:26 PM

yeah, I thought about going to a local shop here, but Spielger seemed to appeal to me at the time. I have sent them all of the rubber lines from my spares stock, hopefully its not way overpriced. The rep said the range would be from $200- 400 depending... so I 've my fingers crossed. The lines are not fancy at all, just a bunch of them (7) vs a non LBS bike. Later in the year, I'll probably do the clutch line, when I do the new clutch and plates. I was kinda of hoping for a hit that somebody out there already did this...

Old 12-29-2006, 05:20 PM

Well, got the news from Speigler... $600+ due to LBS... So much for that idea. Time to look for a new bike, i guess... Anyboy want to buy 1993 w 12k & lots of mods and parts? alysk1@comcast.net for more details... damn damn i liked this bike too

Old 12-29-2006, 08:09 PM

Your selling your bike because you can't get new brake lines?

MDFF

Old 12-29-2006, 10:08 PM

Nah ...not really... just disappointed... I still like my baby way too much to sell her. I wuzz jsut hopin to finish off the customization thats all.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:07 PM

Well you could always do your own

MDFF

Old 12-30-2006, 02:16 AM

ok Ill bite. How would I make my own? It sounds very interesting...

Old 12-30-2006, 01:13 PM

Hey MDFF Did you ever finish that paint job? Did you ever get the bike back together? The last pics I saw were awesome!!! Post some more...plz... its giving me ideas for mine (93)...

Old 12-30-2006, 05:35 PM

Well I can't say I've bent my own lines before however, there are lots of places online that have some good how-tos. Most are for cars but I can't see that being much different for bikes. Here is one that I found through Google: http://www.carcraft.com/howto/116_07..._steel_tubing/

As for my bike there has been lots going on so I haven't had a good chance to shoot the clear I'm still in the middle of color sanding. There was a sag in the silver on the one of the sides so I'm trying to get that out but I might have to reshoot that [:@]. All of the black peices are ready so I just need to find some time for the clear. I'm getting close, and its looking great. Obviously I'm taking a lot more time to do this then it should, but I'm not going to rush and make it look like crap. If you want some pics of the sanded peices I can go shoot some but its kinda boring.

MDFF

Quick Reply: Brake Lines