General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to bedliner my bike, what's youre opinions on it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to bedliner my bike, what's youre opinions on it?

The bike I'm buying is def. going to need a repaint, and I'm on a ridiculously small budget so I'm going to do it in bedliner. I don't need a glossy look and I think the extra toughness will be a big benefit. I plan on doing it in white though, does any one have any experience with white bedliner? Is it bright? Or is it dull greyish? Here is a site that shows the process and end result of it: http://www.lonedarkknight.com/HowTos...r/Bedliner.htm personally I think it looks amazing. Not sure if I'm going to roll it on though, I may invest in a cheap sprayer. Hell, I may do it with rattlecan bedliner.

Edit: misspelled "your" in title. oops.

Last edited by TheTussin; 05-02-2009 at 04:25 PM. Reason: title
Old 05-02-2009, 05:07 PM

Its a cool idea, but I think it looks horrible... no offence. Never seen white bed liner I imagine it would be bright but a dull finish. Good luck post picks when done Im curious of what it will come out like.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:26 PM

I get the bike may 15th so its not soon, and I'll of course do a test piece (since I'm getting several extra plastics with it) first.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look like POOP!

Old 05-02-2009, 11:34 PM

I want white one way or another, does flat white look any good? Doesn't doing a -real- paint job cost a lot more?

Old 05-03-2009, 01:31 AM

Just so you know, the duplicolor bedliner stuff is junk. It doesnt hold up to anything. I applied some to the inside tailgate of my truck. My bed was already done with herculiner and held up really well. it lasted about a month and it was pealing off. I didnt even slide anything across it in that time. I followed their directions exactly, so it wasnt a mistake on my part. I then went and bought some more herculiner and is been on there for over 2 years now without coming off.

So, if you do use a roll on bedliner, get the herculiner, its a whole lot tougher. I ordered mine through an ace hardware store.

The bedliner idea is not really my thing either. But if its something that you like, I say go for it. But personally, I would just do a rattle can paint job. If you get a decent paint, like duplicolor(thier rattle can paints are pretty good), you can lay down a decent looking paint job. they have a wide variety of paints too. Plasti-kote is another decent paint. You can get these at just about any autoparts store, or even walmart or meijer. But the duplicolor paints have a nice fan spray pattern that allows to lay down paint evenly.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:47 PM

Does anyone make a flat/satin clearcoat in a rattlecan? Or should I basecoat myself and take it to get it professionally cleared?

Old 05-03-2009, 07:34 PM

Duplicolor makes a clear in a can. but it doesnt ever really harden up. It stays pretty soft and scratches easily. At least thats been my experience.

I guess the bottom line is how much skill you have and how much money you want to spend.

I used duplicolor white and black on my wifes bike. I used that as a base coat, I then cleared over it with urathane clear. I used rosetta red pearl in the first 2 coats of clear to give it the pearl white and pearl purple look. In person, the white turns pink in certain light conditions. A quart of urathane and hardner will probably run about 50 bucks. then I think I used 4 cans of white, then one can of black at 5 bucks a can. Other misc things like tape and sanding, I probably had about 150-200 in materials, and then just time.

here are a few shots of the tank while painting and after.

Attached Thumbnails Going to bedliner my bike, what's youre opinions on it?-picture-2381.jpg   Going to bedliner my bike, what's youre opinions on it?-picture-2395s.jpg   Going to bedliner my bike, what's youre opinions on it?-picture-2401s.jpg  
Old 05-03-2009, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by TheTussin
I want white one way or another, does flat white look any good? Doesn't doing a -real- paint job cost a lot more?
I painted my bike myself in a makeshift paintbooth, arctic white for less than 200$ and that was with all the supplies, I have a half gallon left come to VA and for 100$ I'll paint your **** for you.

Quick Reply: Going to bedliner my bike, what's youre opinions on it?