General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to bedliner my bike, what's youre opinions on it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by justasquid
Duplicolor makes a clear in a can. but it doesnt ever really harden up. It stays pretty soft and scratches easily. At least thats been my experience.

I guess the bottom line is how much skill you have and how much money you want to spend.

I used duplicolor white and black on my wifes bike. I used that as a base coat, I then cleared over it with urathane clear. I used rosetta red pearl in the first 2 coats of clear to give it the pearl white and pearl purple look. In person, the white turns pink in certain light conditions. A quart of urathane and hardner will probably run about 50 bucks. then I think I used 4 cans of white, then one can of black at 5 bucks a can. Other misc things like tape and sanding, I probably had about 150-200 in materials, and then just time.

here are a few shots of the tank while painting and after.
holy ****, where do you get your paint? I get mine from a place called refinish solutions and a quart of single stage with the right hardener and reducer is like 110$

Old 05-04-2009, 12:32 AM

Any tips and tricks for painting with rattlecans? Sounds like the way I'm going to go. I want white for sure, can you recommend a good shade in duplicolor?

Duplicolor makes a clear in a can. but it doesnt ever really harden up. It stays pretty soft and scratches easily. At least thats been my experience.

I guess the bottom line is how much skill you have and how much money you want to spend.

I used duplicolor white and black on my wifes bike. I used that as a base coat, I then cleared over it with urathane clear. I used rosetta red pearl in the first 2 coats of clear to give it the pearl white and pearl purple look. In person, the white turns pink in certain light conditions. A quart of urathane and hardner will probably run about 50 bucks. then I think I used 4 cans of white, then one can of black at 5 bucks a can. Other misc things like tape and sanding, I probably had about 150-200 in materials, and then just time.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:29 AM

i actually found the cheaper clear in a can to hold up better, i just cleard the plastics on my cbr600f4 that the PO painted flat black. now they shine and i havent had them scratch at all

Old 05-04-2009, 02:41 PM

Hangfire has it 100 percent correct.

the only thing I might add is once you think your done and the panel is in primer. take a different color primer and mist onto the panel. I use gray for the main primer, then I use black as a guide coat. This will allow you to see any low spots, stratches, sanding marks or any defect that you cant see with your eye or feel with your hand. Once it dries, take some 600 grit wet sand paper and resand the entire panel until all of the black is gone. You'll be amazed at how many things pop out that you missed. But its the best way to make sure everything is perfectly flat.

can you recommend a good shade in duplicolor?
It depends on what you want. If you want just a flat paint, I dont think I would even worry about clearing it. Just use a flat or maybe a semi-gloss paint and call it good. Its fairly durable the way it is. Of course, the clear would make it that much more durable, and a scratch in the clear is easier to get rid of then a stratch in the paint. I think I would paint it first, if it looks good to you, then I might just leave it uncleared.

If you have access to a spray gun, duplicolor makes a ready to spray laquer in quarts for like 20 bucks. I've never used it, but I've heard its pretty good stuff.

Just be sure to use primer that is compatible with your paint. Keeping primer and paint from the same supplier is a good idea.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:30 PM

Wet sand it for sure.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:39 PM

i rolled mine with herculiner..i think looks gnarly, usually about 90 percent of people think its pretty rad, and 10 percent ****ing hate it. hahah when clear coating a over matte finish make sure to use a matte clear coat and one thats fuel resistant if possible. dont want gas to eat the paint off

Old 05-04-2009, 08:37 PM

Prep work...shmep work. If you just mix a lil' WD-40 in with the primer, you won't have to sand anything...

Old 05-04-2009, 10:32 PM

Hangfire has it 100 percent correct.

the only thing I might add is once you think your done and the panel is in primer. take a different color primer and mist onto the panel. I use gray for the main primer, then I use black as a guide coat. This will allow you to see any low spots, stratches, sanding marks or any defect that you cant see with your eye or feel with your hand. Once it dries, take some 600 grit wet sand paper and resand the entire panel until all of the black is gone. You'll be amazed at how many things pop out that you missed. But its the best way to make sure everything is perfectly flat.

It depends on what you want. If you want just a flat paint, I dont think I would even worry about clearing it. Just use a flat or maybe a semi-gloss paint and call it good. Its fairly durable the way it is. Of course, the clear would make it that much more durable, and a scratch in the clear is easier to get rid of then a stratch in the paint. I think I would paint it first, if it looks good to you, then I might just leave it uncleared.

If you have access to a spray gun, duplicolor makes a ready to spray laquer in quarts for like 20 bucks. I've never used it, but I've heard its pretty good stuff.

Just be sure to use primer that is compatible with your paint. Keeping primer and paint from the same supplier is a good idea.
If I don't clear, will it get ruined the first time I drip a bit of gas on it? If I leave it flat-white now, can I go over it later with a clear and have it shine well? I'm gonna check out a couple auto shops and paint stores in town tomorrow and see what they have. Almost just 10 days now.

Last edited by TheTussin; 05-04-2009 at 10:33 PM. Reason: I keep posting ABOVE the qoute on accident

Quick Reply: Going to bedliner my bike, what's youre opinions on it?