General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

garage door opener

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 08:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: garage door opener

I have a Genie opener. They key chain remote came in the kit. Like i said if you have a popular brand opener you should be able to get one at Home Depo, Lowes, Sears or any other popular hardware store in your area.

Old 09-02-2005, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine just wired a garage door opener to his hi-beams. he just pulls in the driveway, flashes his hi-beams and his garage door opens. I will email him and see if he has any directions.

You may try doing a google search.

Old 09-02-2005, 09:25 PM

Regardless if you wire in an extention to the openers main button or you wire it into your existing wiring (ie: horn or high beam) you still are either going to have to buy a universal remote from someplace like sears (i used to work there they cary quite a few small keychain models for all popular garage door makes) or you will need to canabalize your current remote. You could easily wire an external button to a remote and run the wires to your clip ons and put a water proof button on the bar...the cleaner way is to link it to your hi beams or horn. That meathod requires a simple switching circuit which is what you get when you buy the kit already mentioned. I'm sure the circuit is rather simple and could probably draw up scematics made from various radio shack components...ill look into it since i wanted to do something similar myself.

Old 09-10-2005, 01:12 AM

you could look into hand print identification modules also...lol honestly though I don't like key chains... they are for girls. house keys on a seperate link with a quick release attached inside my trunk.. if you've ever crashed with keys attached to your body or in your pocket you'll know what I'm talking about. Anything additional on your motorcycle key will make a swirl on your triple clamp. I just have a leather widget deally on mine. AHHH yes and additional weight on your moto key will losen the ignition tumblers... there a nickel for ya