Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Garage Door Opener

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 09:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage Door Opener

Anyone have any cool ideas on how to mount one or other devices to use and hide on their bike? Maybe using the bike's electrical system instead of having to replace batteries?

I have one on my keychain, but I don't really like it. It's not the easiest thing to use as it flopps around and you have to fumble with it when you get close and want to use it.

There are lots smarter people than me on here... someone has to have come up with a really cool way to do this.

Old 08-20-2006, 01:32 PM
Default RE: Garage Door Opener

Well, onmy last gixxer, i hooked my garage door opener to the pass button fo the headlights, and disconnected the pass headlight option. So you could work it in with a button, I am not sure which one though

Old 08-20-2006, 02:28 PM

Why mount anything to your bike? Go to home depot and buy a remote keypad and mount it to the side of your garage. Thats what I did. When I get home, I just punch the combo into the keypad which activates the garage door via the RF sensor. That way, I don't have to keep my door opener with me, and potentially loose it.

Install involves a 9volt battery and 2 mounting screws. Piece of cake.

Old 08-20-2006, 03:34 PM

Yeah, I already have that. I just like the idea of pushing the button before I get there and pulling right in.

My driveway is kinda steep, plus, I guess I'm kinda lazy.

I was thinking about maybe something like this: Click Here

I just haven't figured out where I would mount it... or if there's something a little smaller out there.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:01 PM

The previous owner of my bike installed a push button switch on the right side of guages on the trim where there was already a small hole (by designed) then ran the wire and placed the remote under the seat. He sodered the two wires (from the button) to the contact points on the grid side of the remotes button. Then sodered two wires at the remotes batt. +/- points and ran the neg. to the neg. terminal of the bikes battery and the pos. to a power source that's only on with the key(that's so someone couldn't walk up to the bike while outside and get into your garage) When I bought the bike he removed his remote but left the wires but I have yet to install my remote. My sodering skills is a lilttle shakey..lol.[>:] I need to get it going cus the weather in the N.W. could change at any moment and it would be nice to not have to fumble with a remote that may be in your pocket or whatever. Just push the button while your rolling and ride right in. Hope this helps.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:04 PM

That actually makes pretty good sense... I may wander out to the garage and see what I can come up with.

ORIGINAL: sic00F4i

The previous owner of my bike installed a push button switch on the right side of guages on the trim where there was already a small hole (by designed) then ran the wire and placed the remote under the seat. He sodered the two wires (from the button) to the contact points on the grid side of the remotes button. Then sodered two wires at the remotes batt. +/- points and ran the neg. to the neg. terminal of the bikes battery and the pos. to a power source that's only on with the key(that's so someone couldn't walk up to the bike while outside and get into your garage) When I bought the bike he removed his remote but left the wires but I have yet to install my remote. My sodering skills is a lilttle shakey..lol.[>:] I need to get it going cus the weather in the N.W. could change at any moment and it would be nice to not have to fumble with a remote that may be in your pocket or whatever. Just push the button while your rolling and ride right in. Hope this helps.

Old 08-20-2006, 10:42 PM

I did it! Well, not completely, but I've got it all working, just have to mount it to the bike.

Went to Radio Shack and bought some momentary switches for $3.00 - I had everything else.

I took apart the remote that was on my key chain and soldered some wires so that the remote was always activated... just shorted it across so it was like the button was always depressed. Then soldered some leads to where the remotes battery connected to the circuit board.

Then, all I did to test it was run a wire from the negative side of the circuit board to a ground. Piece of cake for that. Then, ran another wire from the battery to one of the momentary switch leads and then another wire from the other lead to the positive side of the remote circuit board. This means when the switch is pressed, it completes the circuit. When I press the switch, the garage door opens/closes. I then used some Liquid Tape stuff I had laying around to waterproof all the connections and the circuit board.

All I have to do is mount the switch and run the wires so it's all hidden back under the seat where I will mound the circuit board.

I know it kinda sounds involved, but it wasn't really. Plus it was kinda fun.

Once I get it all done, I'll take some pics and post them if anyone is interested.

So simple - I don't know why I didn't think of it before. Thanks for the idea sic00F4i! I knew someone would come up with something.

Old 08-20-2006, 11:46 PM

Yeah, thats pretty much what i did with the gixxers, but used the pass button!! Glad it worked. Interested to see how it looks on the bike!!

Old 08-21-2006, 09:37 AM

I posated a big how-to about a year ago LOL, but you can get a 12 volt garage door opener and I did the write up using it wired into your high beams. So when you were pulling up to the garage all you would do is flash the brights and the door would open. And it was wired into the bikes battery so you would never have to replace batteries. If you search you might be able to find it, but you already have it done. I stole the write up from gixxer.com but I haven't done it yet, it also might help if my garage had a door opener

-Jesse-

Old 08-21-2006, 12:09 PM

OldFatGuy,

I would be interested in some pics as I to have a remote on my key chain but would like something a little easier to use. Any and all pics and info you have would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Garage Door Opener