General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008 | 07:28 PM
Default Front brake problems

2007 cbr1000rr

Last weekend I replaced the brake and clutch lever, afterwards I bled the front brake - at all the screws, rode it that day for a 20 miles or so no problems.

Middle of the week I take it for a short ride and the front brake locks up, bleed it tons of air comes out. Go ride it and no problems.

Today short ride, brake locks up, do the samething...

All the bleeder screws are tight, the master cylinder is 3/4full and the rubber insert is in it.

Any suggestions?

Old 04-19-2008 | 08:54 PM
Default RE: Front brake problems

your getting air from somewhere if there is tons of air coming out everytime yo bleed it.

an air leak somewhere could cause the system to suck air in instead of pulling the pistins back into the calipers. the pistons ride on the disk, heat up, and lock down.

had a similiar problem on a rear brake on a bike one time, everytime you rode it the rear would slowly start to lock up, and you would have to bleed it off. turns out the MC was worn allowing fluid past the seals and wasnt pulling enough pressure to pull the pistons back in. but I doubt thats your problem.

I bet your leaking at the bleeader threads, (or you somehow have the new lever misadjusted- but that wouldnt allow air to keep coming in)

Old 04-20-2008 | 01:18 AM

Did you replace the needle (bleeder) valve with a newie? Their pretty easy to blunt when you turn them back in. This can cause the problem your talking about. Either way, where ever the air is getting in, fluid will be getting out, so look for that (also check to see if your fluid levels have dropped). If you can't find any trace of fluid escaping, then your Master Cylinder, she is kaput.

Old 04-20-2008 | 11:03 AM

FWIW, when I changed my brake lines I had problems getting all the air out--thanks to, like Pace said, the bleeder screws allowing air in around the threads. The booklet from the Mity-vac said to use Teflon around the threads and try again. So far it's worked fine. I do have doubts, however, about the Teflon tape's durability against brake fluid. Also, it seems minor, but I would recommend getting new copper washers every time you bleed...

Old 04-20-2008 | 12:19 PM
Banned

I'm wondering if he even knows what he's doing... ?

Not to be rude or anything - but why did you feel the need to bleed the brakes? You have an 07??? Shouldn't be any reason to bleed them yet - no reason to bleed for installing levers.

If you don't know what you're doing it can be easy peasy to eff up brakes and let all kinds of air in the lines everytime you try to bleed them.

+1 on crush washers.

Old 04-20-2008 | 10:11 PM

You are not being rude.

The only reason I changed the levers, were a friend was getting off the bike and it fell over and broke the brake lever. I purchased black levers and replaced both.

The reason I bled them was because they didn't feel the same, felt a little mor touchy, may have just been me, who knows...

I did bleed them correctly:

attached hose to bleeder, filled small jar with fluid, put hose in jar of fluid, cracked bleeder, pulled in handle, closed bleeder, did several times didn't see any bubbles, repeated same steps on lower two bleeders, did it to which ever hose was closer to the t-block first.

The MC is a little low on fluid, I have not had a chance to mess with it, I just broke out the harley. I will take a look at sometime this week.