F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

front brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 11:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy front brake problems

hey all, this is my first post here... hopefully I can find some help

So I changed my front brake pads several weeks ago, and went really light on them to let them "seat" properly (i dont know about how well i did or if this is even required). Anyway, after about a week I started trying full braking and doing quick stops to get comfortable with the new pads, and I would get really bad shudder in my front end, and the stopping power was much less than with my old pads... so I bled my lines just to cover that base.. it helped, but not very much. So I've been led to believe that it's my rotors, and I'm not disputing that fact (but I'd love it if someone could point me in the direction of some other less expensive issue) but it doesn't make sense that after changing a pair of pads the rotors would magically become warped when they worked beautifully before the change... anyway, just looking for some knowledge...
thanks

I'll be ordering new rotors this week, a master cylinder from a 954 (which fits right in on the f4i apparently), and steel brake lines, and new pads since I assume that the ones i put on with the supposed warped rotors are ruined possibly, and i dont want no heathen black magic on my new rotors

Old 02-19-2012, 06:00 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Before you go to all that expense, I'd figure out the problem first.

There are a couple of places for these symptoms to originate from. The pads (if new)
should be fine, that shouldn't be the issue. The MC shouldn't be the issue either.

If the only change was pads, I doubt it's the rotors being warped, although, that IS
one of the things that will cause a shudder.

Most likely cause is calipers are hanging on the floater pins. Something none of your proposals are gonna fix.

The pistons might be sticking, although not likely, since you should have had to
compress them back into the calipers to make room for the new pads. Doesn't mean
they aren't sticking in their new position, just unlikely.

First thing to try, pull the floater pins, buff them up and re-pack the boots
with grease. If that doesn't fix the issue, I'll raise an eyebrow in surprise.

I'm all about SS lines and fresh brake fluid, but the rest (new discs, pads
and MC (master cylinder) is a bit of a scorched-earth approach and may not
fix the problem.

I hope this helps, Ern