General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frame Slider Passenger Pegs

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frame Slider Passenger Pegs

The left side passenger rearset is gone from my bike. It sheered off the welds for the bracket. I was thinking of grinding the other side off and fabbing a bracket of some sort on each side, using frame sliders as the pegs. My question is, will the frame sliders hold up to the strain of me standing on them while doing wheelies? I know this is a stunter question, and I should ask in the stunt forum, but I think this is more technical knowledge oriented. Mods feel free to move it if you disagree.

Thanks all!

Old 05-03-2011, 09:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

why not use steel BMX pegs instead? Roughly the same size, and already designed to hold the weight you're talking about. And available at your local sporting goods store or walmart.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
why not use steel BMX pegs instead? Roughly the same size, and already designed to hold the weight you're talking about. And available at your local sporting goods store or walmart.
Because the steel would bite the road and might flip the bike. My thought was that the sliders could act to cusion the bike from the road if I do end up dropping it. Thereby helping limit the damage I have to repair! Much easier to just buy a new set of sliders...

Old 05-04-2011, 12:17 AM

I would imagine they would hold up just fine .... frame sliders are meant to hold a BIKE up off the ground during a drop or slide .... so unless you weigh over like 400 pounds I don't think there would be a problem ...

as far as minimizing damage on a drop or whatever .... maybe a low speed or static drop ... but the passenger pegs are attached to the subframe of a bike (which is alot lighter construction than that of the actual frame where normal frame sliders are attached) and I'm not so sure this part would hold up to a higher speed or more violent wreck .... they're just meant to hold a passengers weight (or yours if you like to do stand up wheelies) not the weight of the whole bike ...

Old 05-04-2011, 07:58 AM

Yeah, I was sort of thining the same way, I only weigh 165 lbs.

I want to say that if the subframe can take the force of ripping the rearset welds right off, it should be able to handle falling onto the sliders. Does this seem logical enough? It must have taken one hell of a hit to do that and the hit of it falling onto sliders would be less force?

Old 05-04-2011, 04:19 PM

well the sliders themselves could obviously support you its not a matter of that. Its just if the shear strength of whatever weld or bolt or bracket you use to mount them on there can deal with the weight and torque of you standing on them. The sliders will be fine its just all in how you mount them. The subframe should be ok too.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:35 PM

My Granfather built submarines and cranes all his life, my day has been welding cranes for 30 years, building a decent bracket won't be a problem...

I guess the reason I was worried is because I have heard stories about sliders breaking when hit from the side rather than the bike falling flat onto them. Or simply ripping the bolt through them when impacted from the side. But I'd imagine it takes a hell of a lot more stress than my skinny *** hopping around on them... lol

Thanks for easing my mind, I think I am going to try it. Might cost me $20 worth of parts and a couple hours labor... well worth it if it works out!

Old 05-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How about the aforementioned BMX pegs with slider ends? Might make a nice visual as well as strong. As far as mounting though, aren't rear sliders usually mounted on the swingarm? If you can fab and weld, that would be my choice. The swingarm is a lot beef-ier that the fear sub-frame.
Ern

Old 05-05-2011, 08:18 AM

The idea here is not just to protect the bike Ern. One of the rearsets is completey missing from the bike. The welds have been sheered off the subframe. It would take more money and effort to find and refit a stock rearset (making a new bracket to screw the rearset into would be a major pain in the ****!) than to do the bracket and frame sliders I think.