General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flush Ground Anchor

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flush Ground Anchor

I am planning on purchasing an anchor for my garage, ideally sunken in the ground, or at least able to be driven over by my car tire. I searched the forums to see if anybody had any information on these anchors, but I couldn't seem to find any. I realize chaining my bike isn't a foolproof method for security, but it gives me peace of mind, so I can justify it.

I've looked at the ABUS, Kryptonite, and Xena floor mount anchors, but I'm leaning towards the ones that will require me to tear a hole in my garage foundation and backfill.

Anybody know anything about these anchors or own these? (I've emailed the companies for their information about shipping to the U.S. unless anybody knows of North American suppliers)

Y anchor - the Ultimate Motorcycle Security Ground Anchor

Best Motorcycle ground anchors, built in ground anchors, ground anchor UK, elitesecuritysupplies.com

Old 05-06-2011, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

I think that's going to be about the best you could get. I wouldn't think it would too difficult to install either. Let us know how it goes.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:18 AM

Why dont you buy some irons like those showed in the site and do it yourself? I'm pretty sure it would be cheaper.
Dig a hole in the concrete floor, insert the hollow iron like those and fill it

Old 05-07-2011, 05:32 AM

Or ..... if all that seems a lil too complicated, a simpler solution might be to bust a hole in the concrete just large and deep enough to fit about half the legths of two chains into the hole in the slab, or the middle section of a longer length of chain with the two ends of the chain comin out of the hole .... then fill the hole again with fresh concrete and let it harden with the chains buried in it ... then you can lock the front or rear rim, or swingarm, or whatever you want on your bike with a padlock linked through the two chains ...

Just a small suggestion .... maybe a hairbrained idea but it would work, hope my slightly ruhtarded description was easy enough to semi-understand .... lol

Old 05-08-2011, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Slick 6
Why dont you buy some irons like those showed in the site and do it yourself? I'm pretty sure it would be cheaper.
Dig a hole in the concrete floor, insert the hollow iron like those and fill it
Now that you brought that up, that's not a half bad idea. Unfortunately I have never welded in my life, nor do I have access to the supplies, so I don't know how well it'd turn out (I'd consider temporarily holding them together with something such as JB weld until the concrete sets).

Originally Posted by 9-5=4rr
Or ..... if all that seems a lil too complicated, a simpler solution might be to bust a hole in the concrete just large and deep enough to fit about half the legths of two chains into the hole in the slab, or the middle section of a longer length of chain with the two ends of the chain comin out of the hole .... then fill the hole again with fresh concrete and let it harden with the chains buried in it ... then you can lock the front or rear rim, or swingarm, or whatever you want on your bike with a padlock linked through the two chains ...
I think that's actually a pretty legit idea. The unfortunate part would be then though that I can't take my chain anywhere else though (not that it's exactly portable as it is haha).

Got an email back from the Y anchor site. It'd end up being almost as much in shipping as it is for the anchor because of its weight

Y Max 90
£69.99 Shipping £58.20
Total £128.19

which I get as converting to $210 USD
Still waiting to hear back from the other site

Old 05-08-2011, 02:44 PM

Even if you can't weld, it's pretty doable.

You can get some *U* piping tube either in PVC or iron.

Just get creative man, 210$ plus possible customs taxes is not (in my book) a good deal.

You have to remember that it is the concrete itself holding the chain on not exactly the metal Y thingy... if someone is brave enough to smash into the concrete to remove the bike they'll be able to take the Y thinggy with them. Just saying...

Old 05-08-2011, 04:38 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dang, Slick, beat me to it! Was gonna say the same thing. Hvy schedule pvc or metal conduit would do the same thing. As Slick noted, the strength is in the concrete, so I would probably add some wire mesh when I floated it back in for additional reinforcing.
If you go the PVC route, some screw-in flush caps would be nice for outdoor rain control. The chain/lock is gonna be your most expensive component, don't stint there, because cheap chain/locks can be cut. For exterior installation a lighted location is probably a good idea as well.

Ern