General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLUID LEAKING FROM EXHAUST ??????????

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006 | 04:39 PM
Default FLUID LEAKING FROM EXHAUST ??????????

I have a 1988 CBR600 that is in super condition. I put a muffler from an R6 on it and had the carbs done as well. I was getting fluid coming out the small drain hole on the bottom of the muffler. It appeared to be coolant. I was told my head was warped or the head gasket was gone.

I pulled off the head and had it check, it was perfectly flat. The mechanic looked at the head and said there was nothing to indicate that fluid was entering the combustion chamber.

I replaced the head with a new gasket. It runs beautifully, but I am still getting fluid out the drain hole in the muffler.....???? It certainly apears to be coolant, clean and green in colour.

I am so confused, does anyone have any suggestions ????????

Thank you so much...............

ROB

Old 04-13-2006 | 05:13 PM
Default RE: FLUID LEAKING FROM EXHAUST ??????????

you know if it was really entering the chamber it would be combusting so you would just get the sweet smelling fumes and color but not unless it's super duper bad would it be leaking out the pipe. now if it was super duper bad, and leaking out like that, your engine would've hydraulac'd because water is non-compressible. is there any signs of it coming out of the headers?

Old 04-13-2006 | 05:38 PM

Should I just pull of the headers and look for evidence of fluid ?? When I pulled them off to change the head gasket, there was no evidence of any fluid in the exhaust ports or in any of the header pipes. The mechanic who checked my head said there was no evidence of any fluid entering the combustion chamber...........

I am starting to suspect the R1 muffler I purcahsed used. Maybe there was a fluid accumulation in the muffler itself ??

Is it safe to pull the muffler and run the engine to see if I am getting any fluid exiting the header, eliminating the muffler ???

Thanks so much for your help on this..........

ROB

Old 04-13-2006 | 06:06 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Has your coolant level been dropping? If the head isn't warped and the gasket is good then the only other way for coolant to enter the exhaust would be from a crack inside the head. Do you see fluid all the time or just when the bike is cold? Water is a byproduct of combustion so it's normal for a drip when it's cold. That's why there's usually a small hole in the exhaust -- to let any water drain off. Normally once the exhaust gets hot all the water leaves as steam. If you're burning coolant your exhaust will be white when you hammer on it and like Tahoe said it'll smell icky sweet.

Old 04-14-2006 | 04:37 AM

a while bike when I took my bike to a shop
someone bike just had an overall maintenance and when the bike was warming up at the bottom of the exhaust I saw alot of drops and said "is that normal"
and the mechanic said "ya, its just blabla blabla"

Check if it does it after the 3rd ride or something