General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Firing Problems.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 01:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firing Problems.....

OK, so I have a 1991 CBR 600 F2, it has run great, havn't had any real major problems with it its got some miles on it, but has always run strong. Here is my problem. It just plain sputtered out on me when I was leaving class tonight. like it ran out of gas.....but I just filled it up at the same gas station i always do with 91 like usual. I have recently replaced the plugs, regulator recitfire, and have had no problems with it starting....like ever. I am still new to motorcycles, but I have had this one for about 3 years now. I can't figure out whats going on with it. its like the gas is just not getting to the engine. It was running fine all day, even after I put in the gas and drove it all over town. Then just as I was leaving to go home it made it about two blocks and then it just sputtered out and died. I adjusted the idle **** and got it to start but it ran very poorly almost like it was missing. Every time I tried to give it a little gas it would immediately die. So if anyone has any thoughts, it would be greatly appreciated, as this is my mode of transportation at the moment.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:13 PM

did you leave class without letting the bike warm up? If the bike wasn't warmed up, you could have potentially fouled the spark plugs.

If you let it warm up, and it truly did run out of gas, you may have a problem with fuel petcock. I would pull the fuel line off, get a jar or container to catch the fuel, and open the petcock to see how much fuel flows out. It should be a fairly steady stream of gas. If its only a small amount of gas, your petcock will need to be disassembled and cleaned, and perhaps rebuilt. There should also be a screen on the petcock that could have gotten plugged.

Have you tried rotating the petcock between on/reserve/off a few times to see it helps?

Is it possible someone turned your petcock to off without you knowing?

Old 08-18-2010, 02:24 PM

yes I warmed it up like usual, however I live in central phoenix, and it doesn't take long for it to warm up. But, yes I flipped the choke and let it warm before I took off. I have a full tank of gas. As soon as I can get back to my bike I will try to see if it will start. It was raining when I left class but I have never had any problems with it before when I have had to ride in the rain. But I will check the fuel line and see. A friend of mine said to double check my plugs and wires perhaps something came unsealed or a plug went foul as you mentioned. Its just so strange I have not problems in 3 years with regular maintenance. Thanks, any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.